Adding a distorted live action video hotspot

• Hi folks,

a long while back I played successfully with including video scenes inside a panorama. By then I used a fisheye lens for the pano images and a rectilinear longer lens for the video (out of resolution considerations). This gave issues with the exact alignment, but I managed in the end, using After Effects and alpha masked *.flv files.

Now I learned, that most people simply do shoot the video with the same setup as for the panorama. So I tried with a 10mm for both panorama and video.

Now I have to rethink the whole process. I found some help in this thread:

Example/Tutorial - Extract a Distorted Hotspot from any kind of Pano Image (with perfect pixel alignment)

But I got stuck at some point because I don't really understand, what I need to achieve in the first line *unsure*

What I did so far:

I created my panorama as usual, taking care that I replaced the bracketed shot in the future video area with a pseudo-bracketed one I exported the video frames as single JPG files using Premiere Elements, did a wb matching and pseudo bracketing with these in LR and found the result already quite similar - apart from the resolution, naturally.

But now I don't know what to do with these files.

I tried this afterwards:
    - created a PTGUI project with the panoramic as one source file (equirectangular)
    - added one video frame and did an alignment
    - exported the video area in roughly the same manner as mentionend in the thread above, writing down the values
    - used the project as a template for a batch job for all the remaining frames.

I ended up with some hundred JPG-files ready to compile to a video again (with an unusual width/height ratio, that is...)

But how do I include this video file into the panoramic again? I expect this to be somehow similar to the distorted hotspot described by Klaus in the above mentioned thread. But I don't know how exactly. Any hint on that part? Any comments on what I have done so far?

Yours,
    Michael

• Ok - as so many times before, some days of not touching the stuff and having a look again at the posts in Klaus' perfect pixel alignment thread did the trick *wink*

Now the video is running (be patient - little movement at the start), but there are minor issues:

- I provided an alternative format *.ogv but this is not accepted, though the file seems ok. Dragging it to FF is displaying it as expected.

- The posterurl image is not working somehow, although the path and name is correct (regardless if used with swfpath or not) and the graphics itself is ok as well.

- The most important issue: whilst the flash player seems to work good, the html5 player displays a line,
    similar to a running ants effect, thus revealing the videoframe. Sometimes I get an additional error "ERROR: ./movies/03.mp4 - unknown error!"
    but the video is displaying anyway, a bit lighter than without the error, thus more recognisable.

Code
    onloaded="calc_pos_from_hfov_yaw_pitch_roll(34, 4, 0, 0);"
     		   url="%SWFPATH%/plugins/videoplayer.swf"
    		   alturl="%SWFPATH%/plugins/videoplayer.js"
    	     	videourl="movies/02.mp4|02.ogv"
    		   posterurl="movies/poster02.jpg"

(the rest is the standard 3d video code)

http://premiumpano.de/temp/video3d/ (set to html5=auto)

Any ideas?

Michael

Edited 3 times, last by mstoss: modified the code according to actual state (February 9, 2015 at 12:47 AM).

• I updated from 1.7.2 to the most recent 1.8 version with most recent videoplayer files, but when using html5 I can see the video frame and the slightly brighter frame clearly. No difference to 1.7.

I thought, maybe the software which I tried to sample the frames to a video file again was doing a bad job, but this turned out to be wrong. Now I used After Effects CC to resample the frames to a proper avi file, with the very same result.

I updated and replaced the panorama with the second example of the same project, which I think is blended very nicely - apart from the issues mentioned above.

Michael

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!