Blur and latency on GearVR

• Hi,

I am a newbie here.
    Krpano is a great tool for creating paranoma experience. Especially 1.19 can support VR mode and it is a so great cross-platform tool for create VR experience program easily.
    But I have problem about the performance.

I read the discussion in 1.19 release post about the FPS.
    I tested panorama tour on GearVR, Note 4, using Chrome browser.
    As the same with Klaus's result, for a single panorama picture scene, the FPS could be about 60, while it will drop to about 40~45 if there are some hotspots.

But when I turn around my head fast, the display image turns to be blurred and it seems that there is great latency of the update.
    Although the FPS (chrome fps counter) still shows 60, I feel the image update speed must be much lower and bring me severe dizziness.

Is here anyone else who meets the same problem?
    Or I miss some important setting?

• Hi,

But when I turn around my head fast, the display image turns to be blurred

That's because of the display persistence.

Normally the screen pixels are emitting light for whole ~16.6ms (for a 60fps refresh) and this is causing the blur when moving the head.

Here a good link with the basic about this topic:
    https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?t=7181

The Note 4 would have a low persistence display, but that's not accessible from HTML5/Javascript on Android today. Only native GearVR apps are currently allowed to use this (hopefully Oculus/Samsung will change their minds about this one day).

On Windows with the Oculus Rift DK2 and the WebVR API it already possible to use the low persistence display mode. There there would almost no blur.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Hi Klaus,

Thank you very much for your explanation!

But this issue could seriously impact the usage of Krpano tool on VR application...
    I guess the issue could also show on Google Cardboard and other HMD, is it right?

Hope that we can get it solved soon!

Thank you again!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!