Strange behaviour in Chrome under Yosemite

• I'm using krpano to put some virtual tours online. I use Chrome on a Mac. Recently I upgraded from Mavericks to Yosemite. At about the same time the viewer stopped working properly (I don't know if it was exactly the same time as the O/S upgrade). They look OK until you start to pan and then it becomes very blocky and, well, broken.

I've uninstalled Chrome and reinstalled it - same effect. The tours work fine in Safari and in Chrome on a PC and a laptop running Mavericks but using the same Google account.

I've disabled all plugins and used Incognito mode - no joy.

Any ideas?

You can view a test tour on a private webspace at http://peoplebyryan.com/property-tours/fra34/tour.html

Attached is a screenshot of the typical errors when I view this in Chrome.

• Hi,

that looks like the old Android CSS-3D software rendering bugs...

The CSS-3D software rendering was (is?) broken in Android Chrome (by the browser itself, not by krpano), but luckily most devices are providing hardware-accelerated 3D graphics and even better WebGL - in that case that doesn't matter (and the performance will be way better too).

That means for some reason it seems that Chrome on your system can't use hardware-accelerated 3D graphics and renders the graphics unfortunately this way... Normally krpano should fall back to Flash on such broken system...

Check the 'chrome://gpu' site for more information.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Thanks Klaus. That's exactly right. I checked chrome://gpu and hardware acceleration was disabled. I enabled it and everything works again :)

The only nagging worry is that now I look at it, I vaguely remember deliberately disabling it a-g-e-s ago to work around a Chrome bug. Wish I could remember what it was :)

• I have also experienced the same issue, and it's is still a problem over a year later

It seems to only occur with (fov > 90)

Is there an easy way to detect in XML when chrome is using software rendering?
    If so then could we just restrict the maxfov to 90 degrees for this case only?

• Hi,

Zitat

It seems to only occur with (fov > 90)

That's not the reason, but the higher the fov value, the higher the distortion and the higher the possibility Chrome comes into such rendering situation.

Is there an easy way to detect in XML when chrome is using software rendering?

No, but when there is no WebGL support in Chrome the change is very very high that also no hardware acceleration for CSS3D. The latest krpano versions will already block HTML5 support automatically in Chrome when no WebGL is available.

Best regards,
    Klaus

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!