Viewer looking for tiles which aren't there. ERROR: decoding of "blah.jpg" failed.

• Hi all

I have bought KRpano to use for viewing 80,000+ zoomifys on our site in place of the zoomify viewer.
    On the whole it works well, however on one image I noticed this problem:

http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/dat…8337&img=120334

if you click 'Zoom Image' the error overlay pops up as the progress bar graph proceeds and these errors appear:

ERROR: decoding of "/120334/TileGroup0/2-0-2.jpg" failed
    ERROR: decoding of "/120334/TileGroup0/2-1-2.jpg" failed
    ERROR: decoding of "/120334/TileGroup0/2-2-2.jpg" failed (URLs shortened for sanity's sake)

Despite these errors the zoomify appears to work fine.

One annoying thing is if you click CLOSE to remove the error overlay the progress bar never goes away!!

Here is the same image working fine with the zoomify viewer:

http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/dat…8337&img=120334

And here is the KRpano viewer working without error on a different image:

http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/dat…8337&img=134950

QUESTION CONTINUES IN NEXT POST

• CONTINUED:

So I began looking into this problem.

At first I thought that maybe those 3 tiles had something wrong with them and I remade the zoomify and replaced it. No change.

So then I thought I would inspect the tiles in photoshop. However... they are not there!

It appears KRpano's interpretation of the zoomify's ImageProperties.xml means it is expecting more images to be there than the Zoomify droplet actually makes.

The ImageProperties.xml file says:

<IMAGE_PROPERTIES WIDTH="2384" HEIGHT="2051" NUMTILES="124" NUMIMAGES="1" VERSION="1.8" TILESIZE="256" />

And there ARE in fact 124 tiles in the TileGroup0 directory - just none named 2-0-2.jpg, 2-1-2.jpg or 2-2-2.jpg

here is an excerpt of the listing of that directory:

0-0-0.jpg
    1-0-0.jpg
    1-1-0.jpg
    2-0-0.jpg
    2-0-1.jpg
    2-1-0.jpg
    2-1-1.jpg
    2-2-0.jpg
    2-2-1.jpg
    3-0-0.jpg
    3-0-1.jpg
    3-0-2.jpg

Am I right in thinking KRpano is expecting there to be more tiles there than my Zoomify droplet has created?

Either way, since the zooming pano actually works is there simply some way of turning off the error overlay and making sure the loading bar graph doesn't stay there??

many thanks for any help with this excellent tool.

:L

• Hallo Klaus

if there is any more information I can give you to help with this curious issue please let me know.

Also is there a way of suppressing the error reporting?

many thanks

• Hi,

if there is any more information I can give you to help with this curious issue please let me know.

no, thanks, I have everything I need for finding the problem
    it seems to be an rounding problem on the calculation of the level sizes, but I'm not sure why yet...

Also is there a way of suppressing the error reporting?

yes:

Code
    <krpano ... showerrors="false">

best regards,
    Klaus

• Just a follow up on this: I have made KR Pano live on our site so the links I mentioned above will no longer work.

As suggested I added this to stop the errors showing:

<krpano ... showerrors="false">

However the stalled 'loading progress bar' still was visible - a quick search of the forum lead me to try this:

<progress showload="none" showwait="none" />

which removes it and everything is great now!

(although we would still love an ipad/iphone version! :)

many thanks

• Hi,

it's a bit strange, I have now checked everything,
    but the current zoomify code in krpano seems to be right...

what tool (and version) are you using to build the zoomify image?

this is the ImageProperties.xml from your sample:

Code
    <IMAGE_PROPERTIES WIDTH="2384" HEIGHT="2051" NUMTILES="124" NUMIMAGES="1" VERSION="1.8" TILESIZE="256"/>

and when I try to export an image with the same size (2384x2051) in Photoshop CS4 it exports a ImageProperties.xml like this:

Code
    <IMAGE_PROPERTIES WIDTH="2384" HEIGHT="2051" NUMTILES="129" NUMIMAGES="1" VERSION="1.8" TILESIZE="256" />

note the different NUMTILES value!

the result NUMTILES=124 would be happen when the width and height values were rounded down during level size calculation,
    but NUMTILES=129 with mathematical correct up and down rounding,

e.g. see this screenshot:

when I try the zoomfiyviewer from PS CS4 with your ImageProperties.xml it also tries to download the 2-0-2.jpg, 2-1-2.jpg or 2-2-2.jpg files (but different to krpano, zoomify never shows loading errors)

if possible, you could please post a link with your image and the zoomify viewer again?
    I wanted to check if that viewer is also trying to download that files...

best regards,
    Klaus

• Hello Klaus

I have PM'd you a link to the original image before Zoomify processing.

We use the old ZoomifyConverter.exe on windows - the processing of the images is usually only done once and some time during the last five years - so its probably quite an old version.

since they never get redone we haven't ever really switched over to using the photoshop way

• Hi,

I have PM'd you a link to the original image before Zoomify processing.

thanks, but only the image dimension is impotent in this case,

We use the old ZoomifyConverter.exe on windows - the processing of the images is usually only done once and some time during the last five years - so its probably quite an old version.

okay, I currently know only the Photoshop Zoomify converter and the current krpano zoomify loading scheme is build for that,
    I will try to add handling for both versions by checking the "NUMTILES" parameter and by precalculating the number of tiles to choose the right rounding method,

but one request for that - you could please convert a larger image with our old converter and upload it anywhere?
    larger means here an image which results in at least 513 or more tiles (needed for knowing the correct tilegroup value),
    e.g. a 5000x5000 pixel image,

best regards,
    Klaus

• Hi,

just as note - this problem will be fixed with the next release,
    then krpano will detect by using the NUMTILES setting what rounding method was used in the zoomify image, and so it will be able to handle old and new zoomify images correctly,

best regards,
    Klaus

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!