iPad - Thoughts about PangeaVR and Offline Viewing

• I have been thinking about getting PangeaVR for my iPad, but at $15 app store price I wonder if it is worth having and how well it works. Anyone use this App before?... for creating a Paorama portfolio for OFFLINE viewing? Or any other solution that can be shared... I ran across a thread for Goodreader, and that looks promising already. But still wonder what everyone's thoughts are for offline viewing in general and this software.....

Thoughts :)

Tony

• there's also using cache manifest.
    Hans said he couldn't get it to work, but maybe he did something wrong.

http://matt.might.net/articles/how-t…-in-javascript/

The problem with an app, is that it is NOT your krpano product, even remotely.

Good start.. a bit more complex or "off direction" than I am looking for at the moment though. What I'm actually looking for is something more like a picture portfolio/gallery (as in "old school photography/slide show"), albeit for the panorama and interactive viewing capability. Though if I understand your point correctly, this is a pretty nice option...

Did you get the CACHE MANIFEST option to work? That looks a bit more like I'd need to have my stuff online (with appropriate coding for CM), then visit my site, "cache" all the tour and page files, and then I'm guessing try to view my page (URL) with the Safari Browser (OFFLINE) and, since the files are cached, no online connection required at that point. Sound about right? Assuming that's correct, then I could just type in any URL I wanted and it would load up my tours, one at a time... or, I could have built in links to each one (maybe a combobox) and cache multiple pages (tours) somewhat like a gallery OFFLINE. Could be interesting, especially if I set up a section on my site specifically for this purpose.

Please update your opinion and advice here... this could be very interesting and helpful if I'm in the ballpark... Thanks Bunches.

• Good start.. a bit more complex or "off direction" than I am looking for at the moment though. What I'm actually looking for is something more like a picture portfolio/gallery (as in "old school photography/slide show"), albeit for the panorama and interactive viewing capability. Though if I understand your point correctly, this is a pretty nice option...

Did you get the CACHE MANIFEST option to work? That looks a bit more like I'd need to have my stuff online (with appropriate coding for CM), then visit my site, "cache" all the tour and page files, and then I'm guessing try to view my page (URL) with the Safari Browser (OFFLINE) and, since the files are cached, no online connection required at that point. Sound about right? Assuming that's correct, then I could just type in any URL I wanted and it would load up my tours, one at a time... or, I could have built in links to each one (maybe a combobox) and cache multiple pages (tours) somewhat like a gallery OFFLINE. Could be interesting, especially if I set up a section on my site specifically for this purpose.

Please update your opinion and advice here... this could be very interesting and helpful if I'm in the ballpark... Thanks Bunches.

ACTUALLY - Assuming I understand the Cache Manifest option correctly, this could be better than an "Out of the Box" solution. You could create an online tour that acts as a portfolio for a number of panorama's, with scrolling thumbnails, and if it were cached and available offline, then you could have the portfolio/gallery/slideshow option that you personally created and the sample you showed to customers would have the look and feel of being online... with the added benefit that your viewers also would be able to quickly reopen your tours if they wished to revisit your page (as it is already cached from first time), unless they had cleared their cache of course.

Am I in the ballpark here?

• I do not trust the manifest way.

I did make a manifest tour using the VR5 viewer a month ago.
    I was offline in US last week and thought I would try it but I got nothing.

The cache may have been destroyed by the update to 4.3 , I do not know.
    The standard cache could not even take a single tour as it is very small. Actually none seems to know how big. I have seen from 1,5 to 5 mb.

The iCab browser has a possibility to set it up to 100mb

The Good Reader however is working perfect even if you can not make a Homescreen button.
    I currently have a gallery of 1 GB panos and tours and the only thing you need to think about is to give them a close link which returns you to the start page which you can double tap to make the menu visible.

Something else is making a non Mac app store app. I got a 2 gB app transferred in US and as a couple of my travel companions also wanted it I tried to make a backup to my MacBook Air itunes so that I could install it on their iPad.
    No way. Itunes just ignored the existence.

This is what I as a Mac guy for 17 years hates. The BigBrother Steve who wants to control all we do . I hate him for that.

Hans

• Thanks for that Hans... looks like I'll be giving Goodreader a run for it's value. I really hope it works out well. I'd like a nice portfolio viewer to show customers.
    I also ran across Zen Viewer, looks comparable but unknown.
    As for the BB Steve, all I can say is that their product is at least streamlined to function well, but I do agree with your point. Hence I'm a PC guy :) Can we still be friends? *g*

• I have been thinking about getting PangeaVR for my iPad, but at $15 app store price I wonder if it is worth having and how well it works. Anyone use this App before?... for creating a Paorama portfolio for OFFLINE viewing? Or any other solution that can be shared... I ran across a thread for Goodreader, and that looks promising already. But still wonder what everyone's thoughts are for offline viewing in general and this software.....

ipad 2 silicone case ipad 2 hard case ipad 2 Charger

Thoughts :)

Tony

I understand the Cache Manifest option correctly, this could be better than an "Out of the Box" solution.

• I have done some more experiments with the manifest and to my surprise it now worked.

I suspected that differences in server could be the problem.
    From panoramas.dk it does not work
    http://panoramas.dk/panorama/krpano/manifestdemo/tour.html

From my other server here it does,
    http://360-foto.dk/manifestdemo/tour.html
    The weird thing is that now it does not work at all in flash even if all files are identical.
    I removed the manifest link
    <html manifest="tour.manifest">
    http://360-foto.dk/manifestdemo/tour2.html
    and it does work in flash.

I actually have added the manifest type to panoramas.dk htaccess as suggested here http://matt.might.net/articles/how-t…-in-javascript/
    AddType text/cache-manifest .manifest

The weird thing is that the original VR5 manifestdemo which worked fine before with just one pano now does not work at all offline.
    When I tried it first I got a request from Safari to increase my cache to 10 mb which I did but that did not help.

Anyhow 10 mb is really not much.
    I have 2 GB panos in my Goodreader.

Hans

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!