CD copy protection

• A forthcoming client of us would like to get a virtual tour distributed on CD-s and therefore they'd like to secure it with CD copy protection. We've experienced speed problems and loading delays if any virtual tour is directly run from the CD, thus it would have to be installed to the hard drive of the users. Can you imagine any sort of a protection that could help us in this case? Can you recommend a ready-to-use application for this purpose?

• Game/Movie companie's pay billions of euro's to protect their games/movies from cd copying. Some solutions involve doing a check during startup and at certain points in the game if the cd is inserted. But most burn tools or mounting programs emulate a cd perfectly. Nowadays game companies dont even bother with cd protection, they do it by all sorts of online verfication methods. (punkbuster or securom for instance or just force online gaming). The movie companies, just tagged along, they were offering movies for download or went to a new medium like blu ray which is to costly (now) to burn. Or they offer other things like steelbooks, exclusive interviews or a coupon code to download a free movie.

What I'm trying to say is, in this age, protecting a cd is just either silly or real expensive. If walt disney cant even protect their dvd's, how can your client expect his tours to be protected.

What you can do is:
    - Make internet a nescesity, the licence of krpano would be available on your server, and it gets downloaded when people watch a tour. Or with a bit of scripting, when there is no internet, show a big watermark. People that copy a cd dont have krpano knowledge I guess.
    - You could mark every cd with a code, the code should be inputted to view the tour. Together with some username you could do some authentication.
    - Login with openId or Auth like Facebook.

I see this alot, a client wanting something, and thinking, code = code. Not knowing that its a complete different field of expertise. I think you should be honest and just say, that you can't do it with 100% assurance it will work. If it's THAT important, he (or you, but you bill the advise hours.) should get a expert team.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!