WordPress, Full Screen & Mobile - May 2013 Status

• *** The original post has been edited to reflect what I discovered while searching for answers. ***

Okay... so I'm working on a new website and decided to rework my panos with the latest available code. My previous site was hand-coded from the ground up (HTML/CSS/JS) while the new one will be based in WordPress. My main goal was to determine the best path to the most interactive features - given the current available options.

There are a lot of different posts regarding WordPress, full screen, mobile and combined solutions. Hopefully this post is helpful to those trying to find their way.

Three approaches to embedding a pano or tour into a WordPress page:

• Use iframe code to embed HTML generated via krpano (droplets or manually)
    • Use PanoPress (WordPress plugin) to embed XML generated via krpano (or various other viewers)
    • Use the process outlined on the krpano: 'Embedding into HTML' page

Results of different approaches:

Using iframe + krpano code (HTML):

• Full-screen button/option not available on computer or mobile
    • Gyro available on mobile
    • Code used: <iframe src="/360/panos/01/index.html" width="940" height="529"></iframe>

Using PanoPress + krpano code (XML):

• Full-screen button/option available on computer
    • Full-screen button/option not available on mobile (however, there is an option to display a nearly full-screen lightbox popup)
    • Gyro not available on mobile (may also display errors if code is left in/executed)
    • Code used: [pano file="/360/panos/01/tour.xml" width="940" height="529"] (lightbox popup controlled via plug-in preferences)

krpano: 'Embedding into HTML:

• Full-screen button/option available on computer
    • Full-screen button/option not available on mobile
    • Gyro available on mobile
    • Code used:
      <script src="/360/swfkrpano.js"></script>
      <div id="pano"></div>
      <script>
      embedpano({swf:"/360/krpano.swf", xml:"/360/panos/01/tour.xml", target:"pano"});
      </script>
    • I also stylized the 'pano' ID via CSS (set height, width, margins, etc) so I didn't need to do that each time I added a new pano.

* You would need to organize and upload your files via FTP before using any of the code in your WP pages. The above code references a directory named '360' at the root of my website that contains my SWF, JS, plug-ins, skins, licenses, etc. Individual pano files (XML & pano images) are located in individual directories found here: _root/360/panos/

My journey basically went in this order and I finally ended up using option #3. This is really where I should have started, but the forum posts I found regarding WordPress embedding sent me in a different direction. Later I came across the text where krpano advises against using iframes since it messes with the full-screen functionality.

I may take another look at PanoPress. It streamlines the process and provides an option for nearly full-screen viewing (via lightbox). I just didn't spend enough time with it to see if I could also get the gyro working. This may ultimately be a better solution for those not familiar with HTML/CSS coding.

Ideally, I think we all want the full-screen option working as easily on mobile as it does on the computer. For now, these seem to be the options.

*'mobile references synonymous w/ HTML5 code
    ** I've only tested the above on an iPad 2

Comments, clarifications, questions & answers welcome.

Bill Fant | SoFla360

Edited 4 times, last by edgedesign: Discovered solutions to my original post. (May 14, 2013 at 11:44 PM).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!