You are not logged in.

Search results

Search results 1-20 of 66.

Friday, October 26th 2018, 7:21pm

Author: tksharpless

Any plans for 6-dof?

Hello Klaus I'm wondering if you have any firm ideas or plans about playing 6-degrees-of-freedom images ("head bubbles", whether still images or video frames)? I have no doubt that you have been thinking about that, we all have. Sooner or later a lot of VR images will be of this kind, and I think sooner. It is definitely time to establish some working standards for distributing and rendering 6-dof images, and I would hope that you will play a leading role. Please contact me by e-mail if you pref...

Friday, October 26th 2018, 7:04pm

webVR fails on Microsoft Edge

Sorry, Klaus, I was wrong. Edge displays webVR material just fine, krpano panos better in fact than any other browser I have used. No trace of shimmer, and quite crisp, I think due to foveated rendering. My problem was that I am running WMR on a laptop, which like all laptops has Intel Integrated Graphics, and also a strong nVidia GPU. Microsoft apps, including Edge, use the IIG by default. Switching Edge to the GPU with nVidia Control Panel brought webVR to life.

Wednesday, October 10th 2018, 6:24pm

webVR fails on Microsoft Edge

With a new Samsung Odyssey Windows Mixed Reality headset, one of the first things I tried was visiting 360Cities on the Edge browser; and I got a big disappointment. Same on Roundme.com and the krpano webVR demo page: no immersive image, just a black rectangle. After selecting webVR mode one goes through these steps: MS portal asks permission to enable webVR; krpano displays hmd setup screen; MS portal asks permission to "go fullscreen"; then black screen. Double clicking the black screen brings...

Wednesday, May 16th 2018, 6:51am

Oculus GO & KRpano

Now I understand your position much better. I have had a look at various WebGL docs, and am appalled to see that there actually is no standard for a universal basic pointing device. The standard designers are apparently afraid of the h/w designers, who of course have no clear idea of how a UI should work. So whatever gets done is still up to individual coders and hackers. Still, a professional tour UI needs an agile point and click device, not the clumsy gaze cursor. We are counting on you to ma...

Wednesday, May 16th 2018, 5:39am

Oculus GO & KRpano

Quoted from "klaus.krpano" Controller tracking + controller rendering + pointer rendering is something that need get implemented manually - and that will come of course. It's just a lot of work and needs time (and there are also a lot of other features and things to work on). Sure. But the pointing device is really the most important webVR function. Could you just give us a primitive API for receiving pointer movements and clicks, now, and leave elegant cursor support for later?

Tuesday, May 15th 2018, 3:47am

Oculus GO & KRpano

That's more like it! The 2x oversampled 2241 cube image looks nice and sharp on both Go and GearVR/Galaxy S6, with no trace of shimmer. There is a bit of judder on the S6 at 2x oversampling, but on Go it moves perfectly smoothly. The 1.5x image moves smoooth on S6. I think there is a sweet spot for resolution on Oculus Go at just under 2k x 2k cubeface size (~ 8K equi width). So maybe 1920x1920 cube at 2X oversample is a good formula. I hope Roundme and 360Cities can soon replace their players w...

Monday, May 14th 2018, 9:00pm

Oculus GO & KRpano

Klaus, I am really keen to understand all technical issues that are preventing fully satisfactory viewing on Oculus Go/GearVR Browser with krpano WebVR. Part of the trouble is no doubt due to defects in Oculus Browser, and I want to keep pressure on them to fix those things. Another part is due to the preliminary nature of the WebVR plugin -- which is perfectly understandable, given all you do. However I want to keep some pressure on you too. So I hope you are willing to answer a few more questi...

Monday, May 14th 2018, 4:04pm

Oculus GO & KRpano

Thanks, Klaus. We should all try to get Oculus to fix the browser rendering issue. Now that they are pushing VR into the mainstream, they should hear a lot of complaints. The difference in render quality between the browser and the apps is obvious to anyone. I'm looking forward eagerly to full controller access in krpano webvr! -- Tom

Sunday, May 13th 2018, 8:30pm

Oculus GO & KRpano

Another serious conern about WebVR. Did I read you correctly that the WebVR API in Oculus browser does not give access the the primary pointing device? That seems hard to believe, given that WebVR is all about control. If true, it must be fixed. I have viewed websites on Go where the trigger and/or trackpad switches worked in VR, if not the pointer. And the trackpad itself, if I recall right. The VR mode of Sketchfab seems to have some response to motion of the hand controller, though there is e...

Sunday, May 13th 2018, 7:57pm

Oculus GO & KRpano

Thanks, Klaus. I did a little experiment on resolution with Oculus 360 Photos on Go, with a stereo pano. Otoy cubes of 3 different face sizes, the orignally recommended 1536, 1920 which has worked well on GearVR since 2 years, and 2048; also over/under equirectangulars of width 6144, 8192, and 12000. The results are pretty clear. The two large images had trouble, both slightly incorrect stereo and crashes. The other 4 were handled well. The 1920 and 8k images showed distinctly sharper than the 1...

Friday, May 11th 2018, 5:21am

Oculus GO & KRpano

I have also just got a Go and agree that the controller makes a HUGE difference from GearVR. I also like the display better even though it is LCD rather than OLED. And battery life is way better. While playing with the Go I made the "discovery" that on an HMD, krpano's webvr really shows immersive spheres. I may have been the last panographer who did not know that. Anyhow it was an 'aha' moment, and now I am keen to make some webvr tours with stereo panos. I have also noticed a slight discrepanc...

Tuesday, April 17th 2018, 5:13pm

krpano 1.19-pr15 / pr16

Quoted from "klaus.krpano" {how can I delete this unwanted quote?} I'm sorry to hear this about the LG browser's video mode, but not surprised. How did you determine it? That browser also crashes on panos with large cubeface sizes, so is really not much use. But by using the TV as a 4k 3D monitor, we should still be able to show interlaced stereo from web pages. Quoted from "klaus.krpano" I have also a LG 3DTV - it's a 4k TV with passive 3D - but the TV browser there doesn't render webpages in ...

Wednesday, April 4th 2018, 3:34pm

krpano 1.19-pr15 / pr16

Thanks, Klaus Can one easily set up the new sphere<->cube droplet to create a given cube size? The web browser in my LG 3DTV cannot convert an image in either sbs or over/under format to 3D.. With an interlaced 3D image it would not need to do anything, or even know the image is 3D. -- Tom

Tuesday, April 3rd 2018, 2:34am

stereo display bug

Made a stereo pano with the make_vtour_normal droplet. Generated xml looks OK, as do the two sets of cube faces. BUT the right eye view has scrambled cube face order whether viewed with VR, anaglyph or monoside = 2 (Chrome/Win10, also chrome dev/android) Here is a link. "A" key toggles anaglyph, "B" key toggles side. http://tksharpless.net/3D/krpano19b15_bug/tour.html

Monday, April 2nd 2018, 11:16pm

Thanks for the enhanced stereo support!

Now, how about interlaced stereo output for passive 3D screens?

Wednesday, December 6th 2017, 3:42am

3D TV support

Hi Klaus I'm very happy to see in this release some support for displaying stereo panos on 3D TV. But side-by-side anamorphic mode is not enough. You should at least provide over/under anamorphic as well -- it usually gives more satisfactory stereo. And for 4K passive 3D TV (which will soon be the standard for home theater) the interlaced format is much the best. I urge you to add that to the next release. It is easy to implement as a shader. Best, -- Tom

Friday, September 15th 2017, 1:12pm

JPEG library bug?

How can you tell that the problem is not on the output side? The error message blames the application for not supplying enough data. The input jpeg files are not corrupt. They are handled without error by Photoshop, ImageMagick, Windows Media Player etc. In fact I get this problem with jpegs created by Phtoshop and ImageMagick, neither of which is known for making bad jpegs. I have found numerous web references to bugs that evoked this error message. Most seem to involve a problem with odd vs ev...

Thursday, September 14th 2017, 5:04pm

JPEG library bug?

I have recently had this output from krpanotools: ktransform 1.19 Pre Release 3 - 64bit (build 2015-08-04) loading inputimage ... libjpeg - Application transferred too few scanlines when trying to execute this command (in a batch file): CALL "%~dp0\%KRPANOTOOLSEXE%" sphere2cube view "%%~V" "%%~nV_px.jpg" 0 -90 0 90 -outsize=%cubesize% -jpegquality=92 -jpegoptimize It has not failed this way in the past. Input file exists and has even dimensions, cubesize is always "1920x1920". Do you have any in...

Sunday, March 12th 2017, 11:40pm

Stereo Panos on 3D smart TVs

The smart TV is fast becoming an important web viewing platform. Web-hosted krpano html5 panoramas play well on my new LG 4K oled TV, provided the cube face size is not too large, and the image quality is absolutely stunning. Since it is a 3D model, I can also view stereoscopic 3D panoramas, but so far only via HDMI from a computer. The TV will not show krpano side-by-side VR images in 3D, presumably because the programmers of its browser never imagined such a 3D source. But it does play full HD...