You are not logged in.

Tourvista

Intermediate

• "Tourvista" started this thread

Tuesday, February 15th 2011, 7:11pm

Meter Square Grid

One of our recent clients has requested a meter squared grid to be project on the x axis so viewers can gain a sense of scale (up to 15 meters away from the camera position).

I have a few ways in mind in how I can produce this but it seems to be a little bit more complicated that first thoughts. Has anyone produced anything like this before?

With a fixed camera hight, my initial plan was to create a grid made of rope on a flat area, stitch it together and within Krpano project a vector grid overlay on the X axis at the size the matches the size of my rope grid. At this point I will know that my vector grid is calibrated.

Ideally I think it would be best for Krpano to distort the grid for the necessary projection, rather than simulating this first hand in Photoshop (which I think will be less accurate).

Another question is: does anyone know how I can insert an overlay, fix its position and let krpano take care of the distortion?

*blink*

Zephyr

Professional

Tuesday, February 15th 2011, 10:08pm

you could easily do this in 3d. Do you just want 1 single row of squares 1 by 1 meter? 15 metre from the camera. On which cameraheight do you want it?
I would create a flat circle of 15m radius and a circle of 16meter. that circle would be 2 * pie * 16 around = +/- 100.5 meter. so 1meter would be every, 360 / 100.5 meter= 1 meter every 3.58 degree. Then you extrude the circle with 1meter on z.

In real world, just take a rope of 15meter, tie it to your camera nodal. then you walk back untill the rope is streched, place a pole, walk a bit to left and place another then you connect it with ropes. You would need a lot of poles and alot of rope (100 poles 1 metre from eachother, 100meter rope).
3d childrens game using krpano Game
Minify your xml with my krpano XML Compressor
Krpano XML Parsing Error Checklist
Available for hire (krpano xml, javascript, actionscript, flash, php and ipad plugins).

Tourvista

Intermediate

Wednesday, February 16th 2011, 2:50pm

I think what you have described is a circular grid scale that will give viewers a sense of distance away from the camera.

In fact I'm looking for 15 lines (15 meters long) each seperated by 1 meter connecting North and South, then the same again from East to west. This will make a 1Meter square grid.

If the room is square and has pipes running along the floor, a viewer will be able to estimate the length of the pipe by following the closest parallel line.

I hope this makes sense.

Tourvista

Intermediate

Wednesday, February 16th 2011, 3:09pm

Here is a an example of how it needs to be projected. This was made is PS, by placing a normal square grid on the Nadir. Its not accurate by a long shot but represents the concept.

www.clients.tourvista.co.uk/temp/index.html

Ideally, I don't want to create the grid in Photoshop but have it projected as an overlay within Krpano.

Zephyr

Professional

Wednesday, February 16th 2011, 4:41pm

the link is broken, can you show me again?

do you mean something like the grid preview, but then more accurate?
3d childrens game using krpano Game
Minify your xml with my krpano XML Compressor
Krpano XML Parsing Error Checklist
Available for hire (krpano xml, javascript, actionscript, flash, php and ipad plugins).