Problems running krpano on Android 4.0 phones.

• Hello,

I have an Android 2.3 phone and I can run a tour I built without any problems. However, when people with an Android 4.0 phone try to access the site they get an error stating that they need to update to Flash 9/10. I thought those devices came with Flash preinstalled, so I don't understand the error. I went over to a Verizon store and checked this out on several of their new phones (all with 4.0 or ICS installed). I got the same error. I went to the main krpano site and tried to load the examples and got the same error, so it wasn't something with my code. Does krpano not run on Android 4.0 phones? (or more likely, I am missing something simple.)

I've checked the forum and can't see anything on this other than 1) Flash will not be supported on Android 4.1.x by Adobe (i.e. Flash is dead very soon) and 2) Android does not support HTML5 CSS 3D transformations correctly, so you can't use that to display panoramas on those devices.

Thanks for any help.

- Loren

• Unfortuately krpano is not working on Android 3.0+ devices that didn't ship with Flash, which is most of them as far as I can tell. I've checked on just about all of the major devices for sale (and on the N7 that I just bought). The panoramas on krpano.com produce an error notice asking for upgrade to Flash 9/10, but clicking on the link takes you to the play store, which wants to install Flash 11. Then there is an error that states that Flash 11 is not compatible with the device.

Basically, krpano is not working on Android devices beyond 3.0. (if there is a workaround, please let me know.)

• Hi,

Basically, krpano is not working on Android devices beyond 3.0.

sorry, but that statement is not true, there are a lot Android 3.x devices with Flash support.
    e.g. I have Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 with Android 3.2 and there the Flashplayer is working (~fine).

Maybe the cpu/chipset of your Android device is not supported by the Android Flashplayer, but that is something that can't be changed by krpano.

For a list of 'certified' Android devices with the Flashplayer see here:
    http://www.adobe.com/devnet-apps/fl…ed-devices.html

And for the HTML5 usage Android 4.x or higher is needed, the HTML5/CSS3D support of Android 3.x itself is too limited and too buggy - that is also something that can't be changed by krpano .

Best regards,
    Klaus

• You just have to

Unfortuately krpano is not working on Android 3.0+ devices that didn't ship with Flash, which is most of them as far as I can tell. I've checked on just about all of the major devices for sale (and on the N7 that I just bought). The panoramas on krpano.com produce an error notice asking for upgrade to Flash 9/10, but clicking on the link takes you to the play store, which wants to install Flash 11. Then there is an error that states that Flash 11 is not compatible with the device.

Basically, krpano is not working on Android devices beyond 3.0. (if there is a workaround, please let me know.)

Sorry but this problem is that the browser is not allowed to use the flash even if it is installed. I seen it on several tablets. This has nothing to do with version 3.0+ but it is the Tablet vendor who decides wether the default settings in the browser should be activated or not. Even the "experts" in the shops does not understand how to change it. You just have to allow flash plugin in the browser settings.
    I I have already reported this some time ago and I think it is a serious problem as the link for the Flash plugin leads you to an old very confusing Adobe page.
    Another problem may be that the browser behaves different if it is setup to show standard websites or mobile sites.

If you are not an expert in flash updates you never get it to work.

Hans

• Klaus,

Unfortunately I can't rely on visitors with Android 3.0+ being savvy or patient enough to work through the issue. I can reword my statement as, "Krpano is not consistently working on Android devices beyond 3.0.", but the effect is the same. I can't reliably supply a tour to those devices, nor answer client complaints about the negative feedback. In web design, it's the squeaky wheel that gets the attention. If 5 visitors out of a hundred can't view the tour because of this problem, which ones bother to provide feedback? It's 5 nasty emails about how the tour doesn't work and 1 annoyed client.

BTW - Your Galaxy Tab 10.1 is about to get an upgrade to ICS. (sorry, but I couldn't resist pointing that out)

R,

Loren

• I am afraid you will never get Android devices to be much different.
    There are hundreds of them and because of the fact that Android is open source and can be manipulated differently by each vendor it will always be problems with the default setups.

Why do you think Adobe has abandoned it?

After I bought my HTC Desire Z I was very enthusiastic, it works fantastic with flash. I can see Gigapixel up to 4-5 Gigapixel without problems and all my standard multirow works perfect.
    But than all the new tablets popped up and I went from store to store and tested them.

They are just awful mostly because they want to use gigantic resolutions that they are not built for. I had to go down to a cubeface of 1400 to get some decent performance and I also had to remove all videos from my tour.

Hans

• Klaus,

I did notice that the other players are having the same problems. Tourweaver and Pano2VR are using Google's defective implementation of CSS-3, which results in the cube faces dropping out as the view changes.

I've checked the following on these same devices:

https://krpano.com/html5css3dtest/

and like the other players, the cube faces are being dropped. I did notice that the effect is less pronounced when the zoom is set higher. I need to add browser detection to divert Android 3.0+ to either a custom error message or something less than the full tour (perhaps this defective implementation). I'd like to make it clear to my clients that the problem lies with Google and not the tour.

Can you provide this version of the viewer?

R,

Loren

Edited once, last by lybarrondo (August 7, 2012 at 1:54 PM).

• Perhaps Klaus or we should create a list of devices/os's on which krpano works. Then we could list this in the quote. With webdesign it's normal to say, "we support the current version of browser x and two versions below. If you want browser x included in the list, x % is added to the bill".

IOS and Flash Desktop its pretty clear, but with android it's a mess. It's not only Android version that matters, but sometimes even certain chipsets (for ex. the first batch of phone x release in the netherlands, while the second batch of the same phone works fine). That's the downside of open SDK's

• Hi,

right, Android and CSS-3D is still a vague situation...
    On some devices it's already working very well, but on some others not...

Here my thoughts about the Android HTML5 support:
    https://krpano.com/docu/html5/#android

The graphical subsystem of the default Android browser is still very inefficient compared to iOS, but the new Android Chrome Browser looks promising - at the moment only version 18 is available, and this version has the same CSS bugs/issues like the old Desktop Chrome 18 browser, but maybe Chrome 20 for Android will provide an efficient and (almost) bugfree CSS-3D support...

Best regards,
    Klaus

• yes, Android device yetis uniquel support. But I think the new version of the Chrome browser and built-in Platform is based on the new devices, it will be able to work normally.

Today is also tested on 3 different mobile devices work panoramas and many android browsers. Built-in browsers and Dolphin browser work fine with Flash. From Chrome(start in html5) to the brakes and prominent joints cubes of panorama. Firefox and Opera, too, there is an error (in Flash), namely, for some reason you can not rotate the pan, until you do the whole fullscreen button.
    Also checked the resolution in mobile devises:
    iPhone 3gs and iPhone4 perfect turn with sides of cube 1024px!;
    but on Galaxy S1 1024px were braking, until reduced sides of cube to 512px *thumbdown*
    While the Iphone 3Gs for 2 years older than Galaxy s1!

Tested on: Galaxy s1(Android 2.3.2), Galaxy s2(Android 4.0.4), HTS desire S(Android 2.3.5), iPhone 3gs(ios 4.1), iPhone 4(ios 5)

Support your notes, Klaus.

Panoreal — to make and see this wonderful world! *whistling*

• yes, Android device yetis uniquel support. But I think the new version of the Chrome browser and built-in Platform is based on the new devices, it will be able to work normally.

Today is also tested on 3 different mobile devices work panoramas and many android browsers. Built-in browsers and Dolphin browser work fine with Flash. From Chrome(start in html5) to the brakes and prominent joints cubes of panorama. Firefox and Opera, too, there is an error (in Flash), namely, for some reason you can not rotate the pan, until you do the whole fullscreen button.
    Also checked the resolution in mobile devises:
    iPhone 3gs and iPhone4 perfect turn with sides of cube 1024px!;
    but on Galaxy S1 1024px were braking, until reduced sides of cube to 512px *thumbdown*
    While the Iphone 3Gs for 2 years older than Galaxy s1!

Tested on: Galaxy s1(Android 2.3.2), Galaxy s2(Android 4.0.4), HTS desire S(Android 2.3.5), iPhone 3gs(ios 4.1), iPhone 4(ios 5)

Support your notes, Klaus.

A friend just bought a Cyber Pad 9" Tablet at OfficeMax and I was curious enough as I always do to see how my virtual tours looked on that device which by the way has a terrible resolution; anyway there was a problem and I could only see my "hotspots" flying around and some picture chunks once in a while and both of my Combo Boxes were gone. Since compatibility is very important for me, as I offer my tours to hotels mostly. I ended up finding this thread and install Chrome Browser in that device and now is working good. My Combo Boxes look and work all right and the images look fine.

So this may be one solution to apply if you are running into trouble with any Android device other than the "Approved by Adobe". *thumbsup*

• Support your notes, Klaus.
    A friend just bought a Cyber Pad 9" Tablet at OfficeMax and I was curious enough as I always do to see how my virtual tours looked on that device which by the way has a terrible resolution; anyway there was a problem and I could only see my "hotspots" flying around and some picture chunks once in a while and both of my Combo Boxes were gone. Since compatibility is very important for me, as I offer my tours to hotels mostly. I ended up finding this thread and install Chrome Browser in that device and now is working good. My Combo Boxes look and work all right and the images look fine.

So this may be one solution to apply if you are running into trouble with any Android device other than the "Approved by Adobe". *thumbsup*

Of course! Now browsers and Android alredy updated! Previously chrome did not support 3D CSS ;)

Now the system is android better and predictable with krpano player than less a year ago. And of course, great respect to Klaus for his work and adapting krpano!
    *thumbup*

Panoreal — to make and see this wonderful world! *whistling*

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!