krpano 1.19 - Pre Release 1 - WebVR / MobileVR / Stereoscopic 3D Support (Oculus Rift, Google Cardboard, GearVR, ...)

• Dear Klaus

First of all congratulations on a great job! *thumbsup*

I was wondering if there is a way to get rid of the ExitVR and SetupVR buttons once you enterVR using Safari on iPhone5 (At least that's the one I have in order to do some testing). I can see the Screen Full size but this two buttons won't disappear even after a while. Chrome on iPhone won't go Fullscreen. I can see the address bar and the iPhone Top Status Bar is there a way to disable both or do we have to wait for some update.

Second question.- I can see the Hotspot "Tooltip" on the left side of the screen but not on the right using Chrome on iPhone5. Also if I use Safari also on iPhone5, I see it the "tooltip" in the middle of both screens. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thank you for your kind response *thumbup*

• Hello Klaus,

Both phones use the latest version of Chrome.
    If I change the screen size of the Motorola to the correct size (4.5 inches) the 360 doesn't look right. It's like it's not properly aligned.
    In order to fix it I need to change the IPD to 51.0 mm
    Same thing with the Samsung. Although the screen size is detected automatically, I need to change the IPD to make it look right.

This issue is making me feel guilty. Am I the only one having this problem?
    I've experienced this problem using a Motorola G, Samsung III and an iPhone 6. I'm start thinking that the issue could be in the cardboard glasses...

• Hi,

YESS, thank you very much Klaus! The jittering is much lower, almost completely gone when using mobilevr_sensor_mode="1".

Yes that would 'look' smoother in non-VR usage but the latency would be worse.
    Have you tested it during wearing the headset?

As mentioned in the mobilevr_sensor_mode documentation, that should be judged inside the VR headset!

I was wondering if there is a way to get rid of the ExitVR and SetupVR buttons once you enterVR using Safari on iPhone5 (At least that's the one I have in order to do some testing). I can see the Screen Full size but this two buttons won't disappear even after a while.

See the xml - these buttons should fade out after time when there was no touch on the screen.

Chrome on iPhone won't go Fullscreen. I can see the address bar and the iPhone Top Status Bar

That was posted already a several times - iOS itself (regardless which iOS browsers will be used) doesn't support he HTML5 fullscreen API.

Second question.- I can see the Hotspot "Tooltip" on the left side of the screen but not on the right using Chrome on iPhone5. Also if I use Safari also on iPhone5, I see it the "tooltip" in the middle of both screens. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Only distorted hotspots are currently supported in VR.
    All other custom layer or non-distorted hotspots elements might be unfitting.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Hi,

If I change the screen size of the Motorola to the correct size (4.5 inches) the 360 doesn't look right. It's like it's not properly aligned.

What's strange in your screen shot is that right black bar here:

What is causing that bar?
    Is that the Chrome browsers or the Chrome Shell WebVR browser?

Currently the WebVR plugin assumes that the FULL screen-width will be used in HTML5 fullscreen mode. But if that width would be smaller for some reason (like that 'bar') the size calculation might get wrong.

I'm already checking this and adding support for the case that not the full width will be provided by the browser, but I currently don't have a device that is showing that behavior...

Btw - the rendering / sizing on your Samsung S3 should be the correct one.
    When you measure the distance between the vr-cursors on the screen with a ruler that distance should be the same as the IPD that was set in the settings.

In order to fix it I need to change the IPD to 51.0 mm

FIRST AT ALL - what your own real physical IPD? *wink*
    Take a ruler and look into a mirror and measure the distance between your pupil centers. Try looking straight ahead with each eye and try focusing at infinity to get the correct distance.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Hello Klaus,

The Moto has the main buttons inside the screen. So that bar is always there doesn't matter which app I open

Btw - the rendering / sizing on your Samsung S3 should be the correct one.

When you measure the distance between the vr-cursors on the screen with a
    ruler that distance should be the same as the IPD that was set in the
    settings.

I can confirm that the settings for the Samsung S3 are correct.
    The screen size is 4.7 inches and the distance between both cursors is the one indicated in the IPD field (63.5 mm)

FIRST AT ALL - what your own real physical IPD? *wink*

The physical distance between my pupils is around 64.00 mm
    And just to let you know, the physical distance between the centre of the lenses in the cardboard goggles is about 63.5 mm

I hope it helps.

• And the physical size (vr cursor distance) on the Motorola - is that also correct? (matching the IPD setting).

Normally that Android onscreen buttons should be covered too in fullscreen mode, but I will try to get an Android device with that behavior.

But if your IPD is 64mm and ~64mm will be shown on the screen, then the view with the headset should be good/correct.

About your Cardboard - maybe check if the lens are correctly aligned and not slightly rotated or so...

And the physical size (vr cursor distance) on the Motorola - is that also correct? (matching the IPD setting).

Nope. That is wrong.
    The IPD showed in the VR SETUP says 63.5mm but the physical distance is 57.5 mm
    The width of the black bar on the right is about 7.0 mm so it looks like it's actually affecting the position of the cursors.

We're going to try with a different cardboard goggles. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks for all your help. You're amazing!!! *cool*

• Hi Klaus,

Yes that would 'look' smoother in non-VR usage but the latency would be worse. Have you tested it during wearing the headset? As mentioned in the mobilevr_sensor_mode documentation, that should be judged inside the VR headset!

Yes I've definitely used it inside the VR headset. I haven't noticed any extra latency to be honest, but I will check every mode tonight.

I tested with my iPhone 6 Mobile Sarari and Chrome in a Homido headset and Galaxy Note 4 in a Gear VR.

• Major VR backlash !!!!!
    This link ( krpano 1.19 pr ) works as expected on my Iphone 6 +
    http://www.fotograf.nu/vindturbiner/tour.html
    _ I get e black button with ENTER VR text and can view it on cardboard .
    ( and then EXIT VR is visible )
    SO I send it to a very important customer and ...
    No ENTER VR button ......
    ( he has Iphone 5 and iOS 8.2 )
    any quick fix for that ?

PS:

I have checked with another iphone 5 IOS 8.2 - the same problem - no Enter VR button . Maybe some Privacy setting ?

Edited once, last by Jann Lipka (March 11, 2015 at 5:54 PM).

• Hi,

The IPD showed in the VR SETUP says 63.5mm but the physical distance is 57.5 mm
    The width of the black bar on the right is about 7.0 mm so it looks like it's actually affecting the position of the cursors.

Yes, it's probably the right bar.
    I have now added support for that case for the next release. Then such devices should also show the correct scaling.

Is it already possible to show hotspot tooltips at all time in VR Mode?

No.

I have checked with another iphone 5 IOS 8.2 - the same problem - no Enter VR button . Maybe some Privacy setting ?

The only requirements for Mobile VR support are WebGL-support and Gyroscope-support and both is available on all iPhone devices with iOS 8.0 or higher.

I've tested your tour now on iPhone 5, iPhone 6+ (both iOS 8.2) and Note 4 and the VR support was working correctly everywhere.
    Btw - great panos for VR! *wink*

I think the only case where it might not work, would be when you have used an older krpano version before on the same url and that the browser has still cached that old krpano version.

You could check this case by doing a long-press (in non-VR mode) to open the context menu to see the krpano version there.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Hi,

We're going to try with a different cardboard goggles. I'll keep you updated.

I've also got another Google Cardboard headset today and the new one is different to my current one. So it seems there are Cardboard headsets with different specs out there.

One Cardboard has a lens distance of ~66mm (my current one) and the other new one has lens distance ~60mm (should be like the original Google Cardboard) and the lens shape itself are also a bit different. And these differences are causing different needs for the IPD rendering and the lens distortion. With the new Cardboard headset I also need a IPD around 51-55mm for correct convergence.

I will keep experimenting and add additionally headset/lens settings (like lens-distance settings or just a ipd scale factor) and more headsets presets in the next release.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Hi Klaus,
    Looking forward to the next beta with its streamlined rendering. I'm hoping this will reduce image jutter. FYI when I view the same resolution equirectangular files with LiveViewRift (http://soft.viarum.com/liveviewrift/) there is no jutter. Perhaps this is because LiveViewRift seems to slightly soften the image while you are panning the view. Have you tried this software?

Thanks for all your work on this!

Howard

• Hi,

LiveViewRift is a native software and not a browser-based WebGL/WebVR software - that's not directly comparable. With native software you have way more possibilities of course.

But if you mean the typical Oculus Rift DK2 jutter with the 'inverse-double-ghosting' images that happens when the required 75hz framerate can't be reached, then this is something that krpano might not be able to fix. Here it might be necessary to wait for the next Chrome versions or the next Oculus Rift SDK versions and/or updated graphic card drivers.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Is someone tried WEBVR plugin with flat panorama? When I push ENTER VR button, then image makes very small. On screen below I used parameter
    "mobilevr_lens_fov="0" in WebVR plugin, so it can't be larger. Is this only parameter that responsible for zooming?

Besides there is no limits viewing range, which was oryginally used. Is there any posibilites to make limits for not seeing this black background?

• I've made several attempts successfully, but only I looked with cardboard glasses.
    I have many doubts, this tour I did http://www.ciudadcubica.com/kanduvr/ , can be seen with Oculus Rift ?, if so, how does it look? Researching about Oculus Rift, it is not clear whether there is difference between Oculus Rift developer kit 2 and The Oculus Rift Crescent Bay Prototype and Oculus Rift Crystal Cove, want someone to help me understand the difference.
    Thanks in advance
    Ramiro

• On my iPhone, and I imagine on all smartphone, the display will usually turn itself off after a set period of time with no touches to the screen. This makes an extended VR tour with the phone and Google Cardboard problematic. Certainly I can go to Settings>Auto-Lock>Never, and the problem is solved. But is there a way to code the krpano tour to fool the phone into thinking that navigation within the VR is the same as user-interaction touches to the screen, so that this modification of the auto-lock settings would not be needed?

• On my iPhone, and I imagine on all smartphone, the display will usually turn itself off after a set period of time with no touches to the screen. This makes an extended VR tour with the phone and Google Cardboard problematic. Certainly I can go to Settings>Auto-Lock>Never, and the problem is solved. But is there a way to code the krpano tour to fool the phone into thinking that navigation within the VR is the same as user-interaction touches to the screen, so that this modification of the auto-lock settings would not be needed?

most Google Cardboard I've seen have a NFC sticker that changes the profile to keep the screen on. If your Cardboard doesn't have it the stickers can be bought online and programmed easily with an android app. THe iPhone 6 has NFC but so far it is locked to only work with Apple Pay so will not be much help until they unlock it maybe IOS 8.3? *wink*

• Hi Klaus, congratulations for this AMAZING release *thumbsup*

The online example on this link : http://d8d913s460fub.cloudfront.net/krpanocloud/we…x.html?v=119pr1

is not the same as the one within the downloadable package : https://krpano.com/download/downl…krpano119pr1win

I would be interested if I coud get the krpano_vr.xml file of the online example.

Could you please share a link ?

Best regards *smile*

Philippe

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!