You are not logged in.

Thursday, March 10th 2016, 9:30am

Does Samsung Gear VR uses build in headtracking?

Hi,

as far as I know it´s not possible to use the Gear VR with krpano inside it´s Oculus App?! I know that there is an App to disable the Oculus Software. But what´s with the build in headtracking-sensors inside the Gear VR? Do they still control the tracking while using krpano or does the phone do the tracking instead?

I´m very uncertain if the Gear VR brings any pros compared to much cheaper VR headsets when using krpano only?!

Thanks and best regards,
Nupsi

Saturday, March 12th 2016, 3:48am

No, I've not heard anyone having success with this. It would be the holy grail though to get krpano into gearvr without having to learn completely new apis.
KRPano Developer: Portfolio ::Gigapixel Tagging Solutions - Porfolio 2 :: Facebook :: Twitter :: reddit.com/r/VirtualTour

Monday, March 14th 2016, 1:32pm

Thanks for the reply, Sacha. That´s what I expected. It´s a shame though that really everybody is restricting their hardware to their very own software. But I guess the VR-market is a lot like the console-market, where the purpose of the hardware is to sell software *mellow*

Monday, March 14th 2016, 3:13pm

The best you can do is to create an orbx tour or sideload individual photos to milkvr. Orbx is cool but has a couple of problems. No documentation and no guarantee future versions will work on old tours.
KRPano Developer: Portfolio ::Gigapixel Tagging Solutions - Porfolio 2 :: Facebook :: Twitter :: reddit.com/r/VirtualTour

Tuesday, March 15th 2016, 8:08am

Hi,
But what´s with the build in headtracking-sensors inside the Gear VR?
krpano runs inside the browser as website and therefore it can only use that the browser provides - and there is no API for any GearVR features there.

Btw - the gyro alone from the GearVR wouldn't be enough and not that important - the low persistence screen refreshing mode and the timewarp are equal or even more important for a very good VR experience.

Maybe that will become once possible by the WebVR API...

Best regards,
Klaus

Tuesday, March 15th 2016, 10:46am

Thanks for the clarification. I did´nt think about the fact that krpano indeed is restricted to the browsers API. Because of the programming-capabilities of krpano it´s easy to forget that there are still some boundaries *g*

@Sacha
Never heard of Milk VR or OrbX. I´ll check them out *thumbup*

Best regards,
Nupsi