You are not logged in.

Wednesday, September 7th 2016, 10:10am

3DStudio camera height in rendered 360 images

Hi,

We use Krpano to create virtual tours in unbuilt apartments using 3DStudio MAX. When rendering we are struggling a bit with finding a nice camera height - we have used 120cm so far, but in VR it feels a bit low. We did some testing with 140 and 160, but due to the field of view in VR, it feels rather high - or at leas, the distance from my eyes down to close objects feel way too long.

Does anybody have any thoughts on what would be the perfect height to set a camera to get a realistic view in VR ? On regular screens adjusting the maxfov works quite well to combat this feeling.

Wednesday, September 7th 2016, 5:52pm

For me it depends on the mood you are going for.... I never go above 152cm because then it starts to become unrealistic. 130cm to 140cm is great - it creates a more intimate feel and also gives you a nice array of objects right in your field of vision for the 3D stereoscopic effect.

Also, are you using V-Ray?

Thursday, September 8th 2016, 8:46am

For me it depends on the mood you are going for.... I never go above 152cm because then it starts to become unrealistic. 130cm to 140cm is great - it creates a more intimate feel and also gives you a nice array of objects right in your field of vision for the 3D stereoscopic effect.

Also, are you using V-Ray?
Thanks for the input - we went with 140mm this time - so we'll see how that works out - yes, we use V-Ray. You can see one we did at 120mm here: http://www.oxivisuals.no/clients/selvaag…nporten/vr-146/

Friday, September 9th 2016, 12:05am

You guys do outstanding work. Incredible.

Friday, September 9th 2016, 8:06am

Thanks for the input - we went with 140mm this time - so we'll see how that works out - yes, we use V-Ray. You can see one we did at 120mm here: http://www.oxivisuals.no/clients/selvaag…nporten/vr-146/

outstanding renderings... can i ask what vray settings did you use to render this?
IR/LC? BR/LC?
at what resolution did u render,
and what rendertime you have with these?

best, index

ps. very nice "about" page on your website :):)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "indexofrefraction" (Sep 9th 2016, 8:17am)

Friday, September 9th 2016, 11:04am

You guys do outstanding work. Incredible.
Thanks - that's much appreciated!

Friday, September 9th 2016, 11:10am

outstanding renderings... can i ask what vray settings did you use to render this?
IR/LC? BR/LC?
at what resolution did u render,
and what rendertime you have with these?

best, index

ps. very nice "about" page on your website :):)
Thanks!

We rendered at 8000x4000 pixels, not sure about the rendertime, but 8-10 hours per frame or so...we use IR/LC.

Friday, September 9th 2016, 5:01pm

nice
they are very crisp.. i thought it was maybe br/lc

Monday, January 23rd 2017, 9:09pm

Great interior tour. You don't appear to have any distortion on the camera. What focal length did you use for each render? 35mm?