You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to krpano.com Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

robertl

Beginner

• "robertl" started this thread

Tuesday, July 4th 2017, 1:31am

Better debugging rant and plea

Hi!
I would welcome better error reporting or a debugging mode.
I'm reworking some old code made for before HTML5 and it's extremely frustrating having only silent errors or weird behavior.
The old "XML parsing failed" is a classic. The code is valid XML, but in one of the 1000+ lines of code, there is an Krpano error.
One character commenting would also be very welcome and at least ameliorate a bit of the debugging difficulties.

Rant over.

That said Krpano is still the only choice regarding pano work.

Tuur

Sage

Occupation: Krpano custom coding / Virtual Tours / Photography / Musician / Recording engineer

Tuesday, July 4th 2017, 10:20am

Hi,

a small tip.
when you drag your xml on the browser, it shows you where the error is and mostly also what the problem is.

Tuur *thumbsup*
http://www.virtualtuur.com

robertl

Beginner

Tuesday, July 4th 2017, 11:37am

Hi,

a small tip.
when you drag your xml on the browser, it shows you where the error is and mostly also what the problem is.

Tuur *thumbsup*

Thanks, but I'm already validating my XML.
The thing is that there is no specificity in error reporting. I was referring to a Krpano error in valid XML. I believe that could be easily reported, Klaus could just run an XML validator and if it passes but still has errors, just throw a different message.

Ah :)

Sunday, July 9th 2017, 6:17pm

Hi,

it's always a bit a balance, too much error checking and reporting makes the code big and slow, but too few isn't also okay of course.

For the next release I have already an advanced checking for invalid variable names (the reason for several strange errors), together with a error-reporting that makes it easier to locate the problem in the xml.

Best regards,
Klaus

robertl

Beginner

Sunday, July 9th 2017, 6:27pm

Hi,

it's always a bit a balance, too much error checking and reporting makes the code big and slow, but too few isn't also okay of course.

For the next release I have already an advanced checking for invalid variable names (the reason for several strange errors), together with a error-reporting that makes it easier to locate the problem in the xml.

That sounds great! Keep up the good work.

Last time I did Krpano was 6-7 years ago and none of the code will run on the current version. It took some time and patience to figure out what has changed in meantime. It took a few very frustrating days, but I seem to have gotten the hang of it.