Help and Share

• Hi,

because business is slipping away quite dramatically last year and also plugins don't sell anymore, i decided to try to stop helping and sharing for now.
    So if you need free help, don't ask me. I have done enough last 9-10 years, and that does not pay the bills.

Probably have to look for another 'job', but i hope not. Keep the jobs coming!
    I still have quite some up my sleeve.

Such a pity there is no more business for krpano coding. After the pano photography market is totally gone and ruined now the development seems to go the same path.
    And when i look around online i almost only see the same stuff, features and looks.. very boring.

I also have the feeling the hardcore krpano people are sort of gone or leaving...where to?
    It seems quite dead around the forum lately.
    Hardly any fresh creativity.
    The update takes too long now.
    Is Krpano sold? Something else? Problems?

I don't know, but i feel very very sad that i even have doubts about all this at the moment.

*sad*
    Tuur

• Hi. Really sorry to hear that and I know for a fact that myself and many others over the years have followed your posts with interest. Most of us could never accomplish what you do and I personally wouldn't even try without getting a brain overload or throwing myself off the balcony *smile*

I know what you mean regarding the pano photography market gone. It went quite sometime ago and really is crap when something you put so much work into finally leaves your grasp *sad* I suppose it's more of a hobby for people now or something that may bring a small income alongside their regular job. If you can't sell virtual tours there's very little need for krpano plugins no matter how fantastic they are.

For me personally, I needed to keep up with technology to make any money doing something I love so switched to Unity. It can create virtual tour apps for phones or VR headsets and you can go all out with importing 3d models, adding effects etc. The options are endless for coding gurus like yourself if you get your head around C# for 2D / 3D and you can always check back here to see if there's any changes and need for new krpano plugins.

I always visit here the krpano forum to see what other people have created as I really am interested but have given up on the update to bring it inline with today's technology and such a shame. I'm sure it may not be too far away but just too late for most of us that want to keep going with 360s.

Many thanks for all your posts and help over the years and will continue to follow you and see how things progress.

All the best,

Andrew

• Hi,

thanks guys!

I 'just' had quick contact with Klaus about something else and also got confirmation that there is nothing to worry about Krpano technically.
    I actually think we get a Mega update, which i still look out for on a daily base. It could take some more time, but all signs are there. And i really hope that happens what i expect.
    Can't wait to have a go there.
    So i'll stay around a' bit' more ..
    Never the less it is a fight, more then ever before for me, to get properly paid custom coding jobs.

I'm not an app guy. I will never download an app to see some 360 or so privately as a consumer. Still believe browser based gives much more convenience. Click and go.
    To go another path in this whole thing doen't feel attractive for me. Then i would grow tomatoes or so.. haha..

Tuur *thumbsup*

• Hello,
    I totally agree Tuur.

App download is not a solution, so I really hope the next release will be, as you say, a mega update.
    Klaus, why not release a beta version for the few of us looking daily for the update ? *whistling*
    Or just a little teaser about what we could be waiting for, because as Tuur I would like to know if I'd rather grow tomatoes ^^
    Have a nice day everybody :)

• This thread raises questions for me.

I wasn't aware the virtual tour market was dying. The VR market is significantly expanding. So why wouldn't our slot of it increase as well? What medium or flavor of VR are our clients moving to? Personally, I haven't seen a downward shift. I have seen a significant increase in 360 video interest. Is that the "problem?" Offering both gives clients a range of options in cost, quality, functionality, etc to match their needs and budget.

As for the "dry spell" of new releases, sure, we all want more capability, bells, and whistles. But that isn't holding me back from creating great tours with what we have. I still get the "Oh, wow" responses, so I'm happy enough for the time being.

Tuur, you have been an invaluable resource to our community. You have to do what you must. Your presence will be sorely missed.

Klaus: Have you considered doing what they have a Pano2VR? My understanding is that Hopki is paid to handle support freeing Thomas for development.

• I also dont see a dying market and unity work is a different thing than web applications for tours/vr/videos.

it is sometimes frustrating, that most customers are happy with a simple standard tour,
    or maybe order some custom code but cant judge if they get quality work or some half working crap .)
    but well, this is the same in all businesses, i guess.

the only problem i see at the moment is that there was no krpano update for a long time
    and we have to deal with issues and quirks for some new devices / os updates.
    klaus already posted some infos about fixes, but atm they are not available for tour releases.

on the other hand 1.20 is most likely not just a regular update,
    and as i know klaus, it will be worth all the waiting *cool*

• Me again *unsure*

Hey my post was just letting Tuur know that there's other things out there and someone with that sort of coding talent can go get a piece of other pies.

Yes Unity is a great deal different from our well known and well loved KRPano but branching out may be something that determines whether or not Tuur personally can stay in the 360 degree photography / Virtual Tours business during the quiet times or pack it all in and grow tomatoes.

True there are the few that may have got themselves some good business contacts or are really good sales people but that isn't the large percentage and how many times can you purchase one of Tuurs plugins in order to keep him going. Type 'Virtual Tours' into Google and check out the portfolios of the many results you get for your own country. When was the last time the majority of them added a new project to theironline portfolio?

Reading his post I remembered also how I was disheartened when there was very little call for something I loved creating so it was back to the online studying and learn something else to add to my knowledge and if a client asks for something done differently than the same old stuff I can say 'Yes' .

Each to their own and you do what's needed to pay the bills. Gotta love 360's though.

Anyway, I thought I'd reply while I'm having a coffee.

Better get back to my highly confidential work in the office like this lady

Only kidding *g*

Andrew

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!