krpano Depthmap Support

• Everpano paid and used for the first time.

One pano and ordinary cube. Render takes 1 hour and still rendering....and waiting. Should I wait or how long does one pano take to you??
    Well started again.
    Render done.

The result is Krpano tour but buttons Q,W,E... do not work.
    What to do next to see 3D effect??

Edited once, last by martyhr (September 7, 2019 at 12:09 AM).

• how long does one pano take

It should normally takes maximum 2-3 minutes per pano, that would also depends on the size you generate the image, the amount of geoemtry to calculate, and finally your hardware specifications.

Render done

So It finally worked ?
    Any way rendering the depthmap as image do not have many sense as the recommended format is *.depth which is extremely optimised, and will bring you the best results in performance and quality, and it also just take few milliseconds to render *wink*

rendering the images would be just as curiosity or for other uses you can think about.

The result is Krpano tour but buttons Q,W,E... do not work

By default the app do not add the actions related to walking with AWSD (except you have the naviagtor License ), but you can very easily add it by using the code shown in the krpano examples package.

Code
    <!-- include the free 3D-movement depthmap navigation controls -->
    	<include url="%VIEWER%/plugins/depthmap_navigation.xml" />

Let me know if that worked

Kind regards

• That's amazing! In the old time, Realviz had developed the same software, but a way more complicated. At that time I was a Realviz Stitcher user, and I tried Tour (if I remember correctly the name). I never managed to create anything *g*

I sil buy a licence later today but I have few question:

• What is the point of the navigator Pro plugin. It's not clear in the website. Can I do working and smooth 3D transition if I only have the krpano upgrade licence (by adding some xml parameters)?
    • I already have some VR tours. Are 3D tours compatible with all the krpano xml options / plugin? (sound, map, ...)
  • Hi,

with the everpano 3D + krpano 1.20 you are ready to go for making 3D virtual tours.
    everpano 3D is the editor where you model the geometry of your panoramas, and krpano 1.20 is the viewer you need to show the 3D tours.

The navigator plugin is an extension that just allows you to have tours where no hotspots are needed, user can just click anywhere and freely navigate around with nice 3D transitions.

when you purchase a everpano 3D license it already includes a free simplified version of the navigator, so in that case the license of the plugins would be only for those who would like to extend and customise each parameter. if you need further information you can check the documentation here

Also if you have further questions about the plugin there's a forum thread to talk about that here

Kind regards

• I'm interested in rendering depthmaps from Blender, 3ds max or other rendering software. We have mostly rendered content.

I saw this example (which is rendered):
    https://krpano.com/releases/1.20/…hmap-images.xml (example 6)
    The accuracy of the 8-bit color/grayscale depthmap seems to be problematic in this case, the "ripples" that you describe becomes obvious. Do you have plans on supporting 24bit/32bit depth resolution images also for pre-rendered depthmaps? I understand that all systems might not support higher bit images, but I guess the system could fallback to a 8bit image when necessary.

You can see a webgl example here which loads 32 bit hdr tetxures for the lightmaps:
    http://laboratory.naxela.info/experiment_2/

Codebase for baking the hdr-images here:
    https://github.com/Naxela/HDR_Lightmapper

But I think the actual loading is done in the Armory codebase:
    https://github.com/armory3d/armory

These images can become quite large so it might be suitable to preprocess/compress them to a gpu-friendly format such as Basis Universal and then serve them to the client:
    https://github.com/BinomialLLC/basis_universal

I think the basis image/texture format might be an interesting as a optional method for delivering images for Krpano. And for images on the web in general.

• Do you have plans on supporting 24bit/32bit depth resolution images also for pre-rendered depthmaps?

The main limitations are the supported file formats by the browser - e.g. grayscale images regardless if 8 or 16bit will be always 8bit after loading in the browser. Making a 24bit png where the bits are distributed on RGB channels (3x8bit) is possible, but such files become huge.

Using a custom format like basis might be possibility, but there would be the cost of having an additional large decoder in JS included...

Technically supporting higher bit-depths for the depth-map image is not the problem, when using DEPTH or STL files and using the rendermode="depthmap" setting krpano internally also generates a 24bit depthmap image for rendering.

Can you provide some example depthmap files you could get out of Blender or other rendering software?
    Then it might be possible to think about the best way to load or convert them to make them usable.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Hi,

the VRAM need is not that important for panos, but the time to decode and upload the images to the GPU is , that should be fast, even on slower mobile devices...

But I know about Basis of course and will also do some tests and experiments with it.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Hi Klaus,
    In panorama project created with krpano droplet and without depthmap, polygonal hotspots work as expected, but with projects with depthmap created with everpano, polygonal hotpots are moving in 3D space with 6DOF movements. What should i do to keep them in right place?

Best regards,
    Igor Socha

• Regarding 24bit/32bit depth resolution rerendered images.

Made a test render from 3ds max, but I think exr files can be generated from all major renderers. In the zip-file you will find:

Regular pano in jpg format
    Depth map in 32 bit float (exr and tiff)
    Depth map in 16 bit float (exr)
    Depth map in 8 bit greyscale (png)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R46FOHj0rGAIPXZg4E4zVdVcgivQxt5x/view?usp=sharing</a>

If the 16 bit float image has enough depth to avoid the "ripples" that would probably be the best bet since its reasonably small.

• I rendered an outdoor test-scene as well:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VHr360…iew?usp=sharing

Regular pano in jpg format
    Depth map in 32 bit float (exr)
    Depth map in 16 bit float (exr)
    Depth map in 8 bit greyscale (png)

I can also provide you with stl-files if you like, but how do you know where the camera is located? Should I place the scene origo (0,0,0) at the camera location? But what about rotation of the camera? Would be great to know a bit more about how to work with the stl-files.

I used Arnold for rendering and the scenes is from their training material:
    https://docs.arnoldrenderer.com/display/A5AF3DSUG/Learning+Scenes

• This is super cool.

Is there a way to show a different pano behind the 3d object?
    The "depthmap.background" attribute seems to hint at something like this. I wish it would have an option to point to another krpano object. Maybe the "none" option (render background empty) could be used to make a panorama on a layer behind visible (is there something like that?). And would I have to manually synchronize 2 viewing cameras then? It feels hacksy....

Anyone done this before?
    Show a different pano behind the distorted one?
    Or layer multiple 3d panos together?

• Hello. I Have project with two floors and balcony (loft building) How can I add second floor to project and do proper panorama transition from one floor to another? Thank you.

• Technically supporting higher bit-depths for the depth-map image is not the problem, when using DEPTH or STL files and using the rendermode="depthmap" setting krpano internally also generates a 24bit depthmap image for rendering.

Klaus, what is the resolution of the internally generated 24bit dephtmap? 1024x512 ?

It is generated when the pano are loaded, right?

Could it be possible to write a krpano plugin to generate this internally generated 24bit dephtmap from some external data?

Thank you

Roberto

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!