Should the fisheye setting be disabled in the next release per default?

• Should the fisheye setting be disabled in the next release per default? 42

1. yes (22) 52%
    2. no (20) 48%

Hello everybody,

I'm thinking about to change the default fisheye setting from "0.35" to "0.0" (=disabled) in the next release (1.0.8)?
    what do you think about this?

Best regards,
    Klaus

• I've voted 'no'.

I quite like the fisheye effect in most of the panos I make, mostly landscapes. You're always able to turn it down if it doesn't suit the pano.

I do appreciate the fact that you ask for our opinions and don't just change it in the next update. Although it wouldn't be a big problem if it were changed (I'm not the only one with an opinion, other might disagree with me :D ) as long we can change the settings.

Best,
    Ronald

• Hi,

thanks for voting!

the reason why I was asking - unfortunately flash10 is not so fast, it's around ~50% slower when using the same details setting (compared LOW quality flash9 to HIGH quality flash10, using LOW quality flash10 will not give any performance enhancement)

so to get the best performance with flash10 is it necessary to split the pano into as few triangles (=details) as possible, and the fewest triangles are necessary when using cube faces and no fisheye effect (then only 2 triangles per cubeface are needed),

more details about the next version and flash10 soon.

best regards,
    Klaus

• Hi,

more reasons for default fisheye=0:

• for partial panos it's always necessary to set fisheye to 0
    • for cylindrical panos too
    • best quality and performance with Flash10 when using cubical panos

or what about a "fisheye10" parameter only for Flash10?

or to set fisheye to "0" only when "version" is set to "1.0.8" to keep old panos unchanged?

please vote or post your mind

best regards,
    Klaus

• Normally it isn't wise to change core defaults in a small dot-release like this. But it sounds like it would be the better default. A clear note in the release docs detailing the simplest ways to restore the current standard behaviour when the new version changes it. (Don't assume that people remember or even know even if they've been using KRPano since before 1.0.)

k

• Hi,

in the current beta (1.0.8 beta 5) the "version" attribute is checked,
    when it is "not set" or set to "1.0.8" or a higher value then the fisheye will be set to "0" as default,
    but when version will be set to a lower value (like "1.0.7") then it will be like the old versions,

best regards,
    Klaus

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!