You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to krpano.com Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, December 6th 2008, 2:19pm

Should the fisheye setting be disabled in the next release per default?

52%

yes (22)

48%

no (20)

Hello everybody,

I'm thinking about to change the default fisheye setting from "0.35" to "0.0" (=disabled) in the next release (1.0.8)?
what do you think about this?

Best regards,
Klaus

Saturday, December 6th 2008, 3:39pm

Should the fisheye setting be disabled in the next release per default?

I've voted 'no'.

I quite like the fisheye effect in most of the panos I make, mostly landscapes. You're always able to turn it down if it doesn't suit the pano.

I do appreciate the fact that you ask for our opinions and don't just change it in the next update. Although it wouldn't be a big problem if it were changed (I'm not the only one with an opinion, other might disagree with me :D ) as long we can change the settings.

Best,
Ronald

Monday, December 8th 2008, 10:38pm

Hi,

thanks for voting!

the reason why I was asking - unfortunately flash10 is not so fast, it's around ~50% slower when using the same details setting (compared LOW quality flash9 to HIGH quality flash10, using LOW quality flash10 will not give any performance enhancement)

so to get the best performance with flash10 is it necessary to split the pano into as few triangles (=details) as possible, and the fewest triangles are necessary when using cube faces and no fisheye effect (then only 2 triangles per cubeface are needed),

more details about the next version and flash10 soon.

best regards,
Klaus

Monday, December 22nd 2008, 4:22pm

Hi,

more reasons for default fisheye=0:
  • for partial panos it's always necessary to set fisheye to 0
  • for cylindrical panos too
  • best quality and performance with Flash10 when using cubical panos

or what about a "fisheye10" parameter only for Flash10?

or to set fisheye to "0" only when "version" is set to "1.0.8" to keep old panos unchanged?

please vote or post your mind

best regards,
Klaus

nelk

Intermediate

Monday, December 22nd 2008, 9:41pm

Hi Klaus,

I agree with you, fisheye=0 is a good choice !

I think you should se the same parameter for flash 10 and flash 9.

Maybe, it's a little boring for people who have already large tour, but in the future, it will be a lot simpler, and more logical !
VideoStitch, a video stitching engine / blog sur les visites virtuelles ( french ).

Monday, December 22nd 2008, 10:59pm

I've changed my mind after playing with the flash 10 player for a while. Fisheye = 0 in flash 10 looks really good. Set fisheye = 0 for both versions of flash as default to be consistent between versions.

Saturday, January 31st 2009, 11:32pm

Normally it isn't wise to change core defaults in a small dot-release like this. But it sounds like it would be the better default. A clear note in the release docs detailing the simplest ways to restore the current standard behaviour when the new version changes it. (Don't assume that people remember or even know even if they've been using KRPano since before 1.0.)

k

Monday, February 2nd 2009, 10:45am

Hi,

in the current beta (1.0.8 beta 5) the "version" attribute is checked,
when it is "not set" or set to "1.0.8" or a higher value then the fisheye will be set to "0" as default,
but when version will be set to a lower value (like "1.0.7") then it will be like the old versions,

best regards,
Klaus

Friday, July 17th 2009, 3:35am

Yes

I voted no, but after thinking about it i'd like to change my mind. Default should be 0, you talked me into it.

joekki

Trainee

Sunday, August 16th 2009, 11:35pm

Voted YES.

It solved my performance issues with Flash 10, and it looks better (in most of my panos) than with fisheye.