Automated panorama rig + surface water panoramas

• Hello all, I've been working on a project at my university that employs a surface water robot as the means for collecting data on a polluted New York City canal. I started work on a camera system for the robot that would allow us to create VR images for the project, and hopefully google views as well.

The result is a motorized rig that positions a single DSLR (Nikon D7000+ Samyang 8mm f/3.5) to collect 6 photos, a nadir, 4 shots around, and a zenith. The rig is constructed of two milled aluminum plates, with various physical adjustments to align the NPP, two dc planetary gear motors, a worm gear train for the tilt axis, a belt pulley for the pan axis, and a combination of encoders and an arduino micro controller to program the rig, along with a simple GPS cable release to trigger the shots.

Here's a little video to give you an illustration of what I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94JSpMMWh0g

And here's one of the resulting panoramas from our most recent testing:

https://www.360cities.net/image/gowanus-…0.00,0.00,100.0

I'd appreciate any advice you may have for improving the quality of these panoramas. There are several adjustments I'll be making for the next outing this weekend, including changes to the camera and rig program.

One of the first things you can see in both panoramas is the clarity of the top/bottom areas where the photos are taken while the camera is stationary, contrasted with the lack of clarity around the mid section where the 4 pictures are taken with the camera in motion. My goal is to both improve the quality of the stitches, by minimizing the time it takes to complete one cycle and reducing the relative motion in between the 6 photos, as well as keeping the image quality as high as possible, by using low ISO, an aperture smaller than f/5.6, and of course a shutter speed high enough to freeze any motion. I used a shutter speed of either 1/250 or 1/320, which I believed to be enough to negate the effects of motion while capturing the images, but in looking at the objects in the distance, fences, buildings, etc, they really are inexcusably fuzzy. This could be due to the focus on the camera, which I believe had been set around 1.3m, trusting in the depth of field of the fish eye to keep those objects in the distance sharp enough. In the underbridge panorama , you can see the clarity at the zenith degrade suddenly when looking at the edge of the bridge where the moving images are sourced. I'm trying to determine if the focus or motion blur is to blame for the lack of clarity on the distance, so I'll be try adjusting both of those next outing.

I am currently using PTgui for all my stitching needs, and will be upgrading very soon so I can make use of the masking feature in order to remove the aluminum side of the rig and force the nadir to cover all of the robot visible (I have to source one of the 4 to cover the area blocked by the aluminum plate during the nadir). One issue I am having intermittently is two small blank triangles appearing where PTgui is unable to find any image overlap to cover the panorama. This doesn't seem to be happening often, and id be surprised if there is enough variation in motion of the rig pano-to-pano in order to be missing overlap sometimes but not always. I know that the offset of the zenith to row shots is important to keep this from happening, but I believe this is set right. I'll attach sources/examples for this.

I'm still playing with the workflow of the rig, and will try testing a version of the program that makes a pause during each capture to eliminate any motion blur and allow for lower shutter speeds and ISO's, therefore better image quality in low light scenarios (under bridges, night time, cloudy days). If you have any suggestions in how to best program the rig, I would love to hear that as well.

Also, should any of you creative folk have clever applications in mind for the automated rig, lemme hear them!

I'm linking the source files for the underbridge pano, attaching an example of a pano with missing spots and linking the sources for that pano.

Source images of all sizes can be downloaded via flickr album here

Many thanks to anyone able to help be trouble shoot and thanks to all for building a great community that has helped me much already

• Nice work alfisto. I have a similar rig I built to go on top of my 15m mast. I use a GoPro to keep it as lightweight as possible as too much weight it can get a bit wobbly at full extension. I used the Pololu motor controller to programme 2 motors. 1 motor controls the vertical position of the camera and the other motor controld the 360 rotation.

The way I have set it to work is in 3 phases. Basically the first settting the camera is pointing almost downwards and it rotates and stops 6 times. Then the camera gets positioned to look straight ahead and then rotates and stops 6 times. Then lastly the camera angles upwards and again rotates and stops 6 times.

The reason I take 6 shots at each stage is that the GoPro does not have the widest field of view so I need as much overlap as possible to help the stitching. The results are not bad as you can see from the opening aerial shot from this tour . I had a few stitching issues as you can see on the horizon.

With your set up movement is going to be an issue and I am not sure how you would overcome that. Maybe take more shots to give you more choices?

Anyway good luck and I like your concept. *smile*

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!