You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to krpano.com Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, December 19th 2014, 2:10pm

Handling BPG image format

Hi klauss,

I was wondering if you have plans to support the new BPG image format ? It allow to gain ~50% percent of filesize for similar quality than jpeg. Check it out : http://bellard.org/bpg/ .
The potential of this is huge and i'm sure it will be the next best image format and i think krpano can get a lot from supporting this feature.

Best regards
Rodrigue

Tuesday, December 23rd 2014, 9:45am

Hi,

I have already read about that format, but before it would make sense to support it, it would be necessary that a majority of browsers is supporting this format natively with good decoding performance. The decoding via JS via way too slow for using for panoramic viewers (even when trying to that in background with a WorkerThread) - I've already tried that way with simplier JPEG images and that's way too slow, especially on mobile devices.

Best regards,
Klaus