krpano 1.19 - Pre Release 1 - WebVR / MobileVR / Stereoscopic 3D Support (Oculus Rift, Google Cardboard, GearVR, ...)

• User experience feedback for VR browsing using hotspots .
    All of new to VR people tell me the same thing .

They cannot find hotspots in the large 360 image - specially when it is a bit
    busy scene - Static arrows created with krpano droplet don't stand out - I'm afraid
    we must have animated hotspots ...
    Any suggestions how to get those simply ?

• Update:

Sorry for that. The problem was with incomplete download. Thanks again.

Hi,

I am unable to extract the files. I am getting "Can not open file 'D:\downloads\krpano-1.19-pr1-win.exe' as archive" message.

I am using Windows 7, 64 bit version

Can you please help me out? Can you please look into this?

Thanks in advance,
    Raju

• As a layer they should work, i had no problem at least.

Hi, my layers are displayed only in the left screen...
    Uh oh!!! I'm starting to understand, all messages etc. have to be repeated two times. It is one and only one krp instance.
    It would be better to make a function to duplicate all layers (graphics, copyrights etc.) giving them a 3d effect too...
    Making graphics for VR is not simple at all, but I think flat layers (solidal with the screen) may still have a meaning.

• Hi,

Klaus, could this be on influence on the IPD settings?
    mul(stagescale, 2.0);
    </action>

No, the stagescale wouldn't have an influence on the IPD.

What your real IPD?
    You could measure it with a mirror (but by trying to focus to infinity) or use try that online tool:
    https://pd.warbyparker.com/

I have the option of rendering a (horizontal) 6x1 cube strip and can get it to display, but having a problem with the cubestrip settings

The HTML5 viewer currently doesn't support these cubestrip settings.

On a side note it would be great if krpano could support 12x1 for stereo cubestrips

Cubestrips are pretty inefficient for web-usage - slower loading (due only one file loading), more memory need for decoding (all images at once instead just one cube face at one time), slower due more decoding and WebGL-uploading time, and additionally there are image-size limits by mobile browsers - some browsers will downscale the image already automatically and not-disable-able during decoding.

That mean there would be only one single advantage - it's just one file - but with several disadvantages at the same time. Due this there are currenlty no plans for stereo cubestrip support.

My question is, If I view it on galaxy s5, Automatically, I can see the split screen? Or should I click on the enter button.
    Which browser supports web gl for android in galaxy s5?

You should click the enter VR button (a click is required to switch to fullscreen mode anyway).
    Several Android browsers are supporting WebGL (e.g. Chrome, Opera, Firefox) but it depends also on the device and it's GPU and GPU drivers.

If I created a multires 3d pano, can that be fed to WebVR?

Yes, it works all the same.
    But for VR a single-res might be better.
    There will be always as short-pause when a new image will be decoded and this pause can have an influence on a stable framerate.

've seen 2 great add-on into the 1.19 which are not linked to VR.
    - The action with type="Javascript" to be able to execute JS code into the krpano player directly. Get is needed but not the Set ? Set is directly applied when a value is changed ?

Both is possible - by using get(), set() you can use the krpano syntax for getting and setting the objects and attributes, but when using the direct access you need to use the krpano Javascript object structure.

There will be more information on this with the final 1.19 release, but you could get already several information here in the plugin documentation:
    https://krpano.com/docu/plugininterface/#krpanointerface

Simple question Klaus but what is the "callwith(layer[sensor_button],update());" line on your sample ?

That calls the code in the 'update' attribute from the layer[sensor_button] element as it would be called directly from the element.

See here (that's not a new action):
    https://krpano.com/docu/actions/#callwith

They cannot find hotspots in the large 360 image - specially when it is a bit
    busy scene - Static arrows created with krpano droplet don't stand out - I'm afraid
    we must have animated hotspots ...

Animated hotspots are working in VR too.
    You only need to be sure that distorted=true is set for the hotspot.

Uh oh!!! I'm starting to understand, all messages etc. have to be repeated two times. It is one and only one krp instance.
    It would be better to make a function to duplicate all layers (graphics, copyrights etc.) giving them a 3d effect too...

Yes, that would be possible and I will provide an example for how to place elements correctly alligned two times, but screen-aligned elements aren't optimal for VR! Better try using hotspots.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Hi,
    webvr.xml doesn't have any preset settings for Oculus Dk1 & Dk2 ?
    Didn't found any code to set the i_fov, i_dist & i_vig for thoses headset, are the default settings allright ?
    Looks like Dk1 has a 110° fov and DK2 a 100°....

Anyone has settings for those two headsets ?

Thanx !

• Hi all, first of all thanks for the awesome work with this new version.

I tested this last week and made a few awesome panos to use with Oculus Rift and some VR gears i got, so far so good. Everything was working well till yesterday that i wanted to show a friend and somehow after using the navigation arrows the image appears to be a lot zoomed.

When editing the tour we get to choose how far/close we want the start image to be, also we can choose the position of the pano itself. I'm 100% sure this was working either on Web or Mobile last week.

Any clue what could have happened? *confused*

Thanks in advance
    Pedro

• Hello,

How is best to deal with 'native' video sound (meaning sound coming along with the stream)?

Can such 'native' sound be controlled as a 'directional sound' under WebVR?

Thx.

• It looks like the HTML5 localstorage for storing IPD, and VR headset settings doesn't work.

I'm using the kr pano test server, so maybe it only works from a domain?

Everytime I navigate to my localhost URL I need to setup my IPD and VR headset settings on my Galaxy Note 4 / Gear VR.

I use the special Chromium WebVR build.

• this may be a noob question but does the scene tag work stereo panos or can someone provide working code snippet?

works

Code
    <image stereo="true" stereolabels="L|R">
    		<cube url="GigaVR-%t.tiles/pano_%s.jpg" />
    		<cube url="GigaVR-%t.tiles/mobile_%s.jpg" devices="iOS" />
    	</image>

black without any image

• Hi,

Any clue what could have happened?

Sorry, but there too few information to be able to help.

Is it possible to feed 3d (left & right) video to krpano/webvr?

Basically yes... just use this code:

Code
    <image stereo="true" stereoformat="SBS">
        <sphere url="plugin:video" />
    </image>

...but in the current pre-release there is unfortunately a small bug - the setting stereoformat="SBS" can't be set due a wrong internal checking of that parameter (short before release I've made this setting case-insensitive and this broke this setting). That means the viewer will currently always assume stereoformat="TB" (Top-Bottom videos). There will be soon a new pre-release where this will be fixed.

It looks like the HTML5 localstorage for storing IPD, and VR headset settings doesn't work.

In the meantime I've noticed some problems too - on iOS there the crossdomain localstorage is blocked by Apple by default and on Android the loading of the stored values doesn't work correctly in some cases. I will address these problems in the next pre-release.

black without any image

Did load that scene?
    A <scene> is like an inline xml and works identically to a normal xml, but it need to be loaded (by loadscene) of course.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Thanks for your reply Klaus. I've encountered another bug.

When using Chrome (not the WebVR build) on iOS 8.1 the Enter VR button doesnt trigger fullscreen (address bar still visible).

By the way, is this the right place to communicate encountered bugs?

• Hi,

When using Chrome (not the WebVR build) on iOS 8.1 the Enter VR button doesnt trigger fullscreen (address bar still visible).

iOS doesn't support the HTML5 Fullscreen API - that means there is no way to switch to a real fullscreen mode from Javascript. Please note that this a fundamental limitation from iOS itself and it's impossible to workaround that by custom scripts. A browser that provides a fullscreen mode in some way would need to be used in there (like the iOS Safari browser in landscape mode).

By the way, is this the right place to communicate encountered bugs?

For bugs or questions directly related to the VR support or the changes of 1.19 version itself - yes (but separate threads would be also okay).

Best regards,
    Klaus

• How do I make it go full screen onload (or click) for mobile vr

I tried this, but instead of the two images in windowed mode on my iOS device, when it went full screen, it went to just one image.

onclick="set(fullscreen,true);"

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!