krpano 1.19 - Pre Release 1 - WebVR / MobileVR / Stereoscopic 3D Support (Oculus Rift, Google Cardboard, GearVR, ...)

• in examble web vr oculus
    after i focus in scence and entered in one tour from three tour i want to increase time when i focus in hotspot it is take only 1 seconds to load next pano i need to increase this time
    second problem
    in Chorinum video didnt work in oculus

• Hi,

- the writing is too big for the iPhone 6 only for video

The videointerface example is scaling-up the stagescale by 2 for mobile devices (see the videointerface.xml) and the videointeface skin is designed for that size.

The WebVR settings screen itself is designed for default moible stagescale.

If you want to mix both this way you would either need to change either the sizes of the videointerface (in the videointerface.xml) or the sizes in the webvr.xml.

i want to increase time when i focus in hotspot it is take only 1 seconds to load next pano i need to increase this time

That's fully custom and xml driven:

Either add a 'vr_timeout' setting with the time in milliseconds to the hotspot (or if already there edit the value) - or edit the 'vr_cursor_onover' setting or the 'vr_auto_click' action in the webvr.xml.

second problem
    in Chorinum video didnt work in oculus

Did you provide also a .webm file?
    The Chromium builds doesn't include MP4 support for license reasons.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• in webvr examble hotspot home return me to firts page to select from three tour i want make hotspot like home hotspot but appear up and with same action to restart my tour

• I've shown the WebVR possiblities to two clients, but it wasn't really a succesfull experience.

The first and foremost "problem" was that the WebVR experience wasn't "smooth" like I mentioned earlier in this thread. When looking around the pano "flickers" and the image isn't "stable", especially in the corners.

Just a quick summary of the hardware used and FPS in WebVR mode:

Desktop
    - Windows 8.1 64bit
    - Intel HD Graphics 4600
    - 8GB RAM
    - Chrome WebVR build
    - FPS in normal mode: 60FPS
    - FPS in WebVR mode: ~45FPS

Mobile #1
    - Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (Gear VR)
    - Chrome Mobile WebVR build
    - FPS in normal mode: 60 FPS
    - FPS in WebVR mode: ~45FPS

Mobile #2
    - iPhone 6 (Homido)
    - Mobile Safari
    - FPS in normal mode: ? (not smooth)
    - FPS in WebVR mode: ? (not smooth)

Content
    - Stereoscopic 6000x3000 Top/Bottom spherical pano (not cube map)
    - "2D" 6000x3000 spherical pano (not cube map) same problem, however slightly more stable if you ask me

Does this have to do with the beta Chrome WebVR browser, krpano, or maybe my content? Ive already tried a smaller spherical pano (4096x2048), but still the same. I know it's not going to be as native as e.g. the Oculus 360photos app, but I want to understand what causes the above.

• VERY new (two weeks) to krpano.

After enabling VR support (plugins & tour.xml mods) I find that the tour_editor will not affect changes to the startup views of the nodes. It worked prior to installing the VR support.
    ALSO... how do I specify the hlookat parameter to a hotspot's target linkedscene?
    This sample works, but the hotspots do not link to the hlookat I wish.
    http://howardgoldbaum.com/oculus/AFM

Thank you.

• Hi Klaus,

thanks, i use in the videointerface.xml this

<action name="videointerface_mobile_stagescale" autorun="preinit" devices="mobile">
    mul(stagescale, 1.0);
    </action>

if i have a VR supported device, then run the 360 Video not in a loop, without VR supported is the loop okay :(

Best Regards Matthias

Edited 7 times, last by panomexico (March 10, 2015 at 8:32 AM).

• Hi,

The first and foremost "problem" was that the WebVR experience wasn't "smooth" like I mentioned earlier in this thread. When looking around the pano "flickers" and the image isn't "stable", especially in the corners.

Just a quick summary of the hardware used and FPS in WebVR mode:

Desktop
    - Windows 8.1 64bit
    - Intel HD Graphics 4600

Sorry, but an Intel GPU might be simply too slow for VR rendering...

Rendering two frames (left and right) and with a higher resolution (for the following distortion step) and the distortion itself plus the higher frame-rate (75hz) is typically too heavy for this kind of GPU.

Are you able to run other Oculus Rift applications smooth on that computer?

Beside of this - please note this is only the first pre-release, the next pre-release will already contain a heavily improved (=faster) VR hotspot rendering.

the startup views of the nodes. It worked prior to installing the VR support.
    ALSO... how do I specify the hlookat parameter to a hotspot's target linkedscene?

The current looking direction will be always the one from the headset, any manual changing of the hlookat/vlookat values will be not possible. But in the next pre-release the resetsensor() action will work and be able to set a new 'zero' for the looking position. Additionally I'm looking for way to specify an additional relative offset per pano.

if i have a VR supported device, then run the 360 Video not in a loop, without VR supported is the loop okay :(

Example?

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Hi Klaus,

Yes I know, it's only an onboard GPU, however I just added that config to let you now which hardware Ive used.

For me the most important one is the Mobile #1 variant, with the Galaxy Note 4.

You already stated that the FPS aren't stable on the Note 4, however, what I want to know is if it has to do with e.g. the Chrome browser, or the hardware, or maybe the fact that I don't use tiles (cube maps) etc.

Please note that I don't have any hotspots! It's a simple one 360 spherical panorama.

• HI there everybody

i have a bit of a struggle here if anyone could help :

IM trying to change the position of the home button( the one that appear when looking to the nadir ) to be in the zenith area, any idea how we can do that
    i cannot find its position in any of the xml files *confused*

cheers

• Hi,

You already stated that the FPS aren't stable on the Note 4, however, what I want to know is if it has to do with e.g. the Chrome browser, or the hardware, or maybe the fact that I don't use tiles (cube maps) etc.

It don't know why the Note 4 isn't able to provide a stable performance, other devices don't show the same effect.

I have already experimented with extremely reduced rendering and pano resolution and the framerates were the same as with way higher resolutions - sometimes fully stable 60fps but sometimes only around 45fps. Sometimes simply rotating the device helps... Maybe there is some core Note 4 related GPU or browser bug, from krpano code side I can't see a problem yet.

In case you have missed the previous posts about the Note 4 performance, please see here:
    krpano 1.19 (Pre Release) - WebVR / MobileVR / Stereoscopic 3D Support (Oculus Rift, Google Cardboard, GearVR, ...)

IM trying to change the position of the home button

That position will be calculated dynamically in the 'vr_menu_following' action.
    You could adjust it in that line:

Code
    v = v + 55.0 - v*1.5;

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Ok thank you Klaus for this clarification. I will continue to experiment.

With Mobile Safari on iPhone 6 I have a similar experience, but maybe I'm comparing native Gear VR app performance to WebVR, and that just isn't realistic at this moment.

Could you say something about the ETA of the next pre-release, or is it to early to have an estimated time frame?

EDIT: and one last question for now :) on my iPhone 6 the pano "vibrates" when holding my head still. This is when using Mobile Safari. I noticed the same behaviour when looking around. The pano keeps "vibrating".

Have you experienced it yourself too?

Edited once, last by Ibrendie (March 10, 2015 at 2:24 PM).

• hi klaus .
    i tried to change the dimensions in that quote but it does not affect the tour ( noticed that this part of the code has an "!" before it so it is not activated ??how ever even when i activate it it does not work

here is what i am trying to do
    i am trying to create a similar home( but in the zenith) inside some of the tour that will restart the tour not the main window .

cheers

• Hi,

I'm comparing native Gear VR app performance to WebVR, and that just isn't realistic at this moment.

Native GearVR apps have access to more accurate sensors, direct screen rendering, low-persistence and async-timewarp. That's all not available in the browser (also not with the WebVR API), so the getting the same 'performance' as native GearVR apps isn't possible yet, but therefore you would only need to open a link to view a VR pano instead of downloading and installing an app.

Maybe one day Samsung (or Oculus) will decide to open the GearVR API, then other applications (like WebVR browsers) should be able to get the same performance also in the browser.

But the current performance with Android Chrome or the Android Chromium WebVR browser should be already comparable to native Cardboard apps.

Could you say something about the ETA of the next pre-release, or is it to early to have an estimated time frame?

I would say soon, but generally there are and will be no release dates. A new version will be always released when ready.

EDIT: and one last question for now :) on my iPhone 6 the pano "vibrates" when holding my head still. This is when using Mobile Safari. I noticed the same behaviour when looking around. The pano keeps "vibrating".

Have you experienced it yourself too?

No, no vibrating.

Btw - about your 'not smooth' - on the iPhone 6 and 6+ I'm getting stable 60fps for panos.
    For videos only ~30fps, but that's because of the slow iOS Video to WebGL texture transfer.

Another note iOS - the gyro tracking on iOS is not as good as on Andriod or with WebVR. On iOS the system updates the devicemotion events only with a 20hz rate (Android Chrome 60hz), so krpano needs to interpolate and extrapolate more and when the extrapolated position and the real next position don't match there can be more jittering.

If you want you can be play with different sensor modes to change that - e.g. try mobilevr_sensor_mode="1" as comparison:
    https://krpano.com/plugins/webvr/#mobilevr_sensor_mode

Best regards,
    Klaus

• The phone at the bottom (Motorola G) works OK but the Samsung needs to have the IPD readjusted to be seen properly.

On the phone on the bottom the screen size NEED TO BE ADJUSTED first to it's real size!

When the WebVR plugin doesn't know the device it is using 5.0 Inch as default size, but on your photo the screen of the bottom phone looks smaller than the one of the S3 (which as a 4.7 Inch screen).

Btw - what's your real IPD?
    Btw2 - which browser are you using? (please try Chrome first)

But I had to say I'm a bit irritated by the 'black bar' on the right in the bottom phone... in fullscreen mode really the full screen should be covered...

• YESS, thank you very much Klaus! The jittering is much lower, almost completely gone when using mobilevr_sensor_mode="1".

Both on my iPhone 6 (Homido, Mobile Safari) and on my Note 4 (Gear VR, Chrome WebVR build)

I'm going to try the other modi. Is there any smart order of modi, or just try them all?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!