iPod / iOS6 crashes

• I have an old iPod 4 with iOS6, the newest version it supports. Not sure how representative this is of older devices -- I would guess iphone 4 or 3S and earlier. Anyway Safari on it crashes with my KRP tours. It might display one pano without crashing but on moving to the next Safari exits.

How do I prevent this?? Does it suggest there would be problems on iPhone 4 and earlier?

• The "problem" with KRPano is that it's capabilities are SO extensive that it is darn hard to know them all. I am continually impressed.

But clearly I'm misunderstanding something. Lets say I want to set a lower than default hardware limit only on iPods running iOS6.x or lower. Here is what I came up with:

In all cases and several other variations the multires tiles get loaded and eventually the browser crashes. This is the only display element in the xml and it is near the top before any of the scenes.

BTW, if I use devices="ios7" does that mean ios7 and higher will be included or only ios7.0.1 and higher?

• Hi,

BTW, if I use devices="ios7" does that mean ios7 and higher will be included or only ios7.0.1 and higher?

Right.

Btw - there is no 'display.multires' setting and the hardwarelimit setting doesn't have an influence on multires loading. It only affects non-multires panos.

Maybe try something like this:

Code
    <image devices="ipod.and.no-ios7">
      <cube url="small_ipod_pano_%s.jpg">
    </image>
    <image ... devices="no-ipod.or.ios7">
      ... your normal multires pano images ...
    </image>

This way you could define extra very small images for older iPod devices.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Sorry. I should have been clearer.... If I use devices="ios7" does that mean:
    a) ios7.0.0 and higher will be included
    or
    b) only higher than ios7.0.0

My reading of the docs suggests "b" although "a" seems a lot more reasonable.

Also, the docs say ios###. Does that mean mean for ios7.0.1 you would use devices="ios701"?

Now to the real problem. Using your recommendation I was able to get it to use only the mobile tiles although even at the default it was darn blurry. Leaving it at the default (using no hardwarelimit attribute) it crashed the browser. Dropping hardwarelimit to 512 didn't cause a crash but resulted in a corrupted display and blurry:

Then I checked your examples and got the same thing (from the vineyard tour) although sharper on the full res tiles:

So...I would be surprised if this were strictly hardware related. Is it an iOS6 thing? Should we just abandon hope for such old devices as I'm testing?

• Hi,

Sorry. I should have been clearer.... If I use devices="ios7" does that mean:
    a) ios7.0.0 and higher will be included

Yes - the setting devices="ios7" means iOS 7.0.0 and higher.

Now to the real problem. Using your recommendation I was able to get it to use only the mobile tiles although even at the default it was darn blurry.

That's another iOS bug - it seems that when the current system memory is pretty low, the older iOS Safari versions were internally downscaling the images to save memory - but this downscaling is BUGGY - and leads to the images that you see in your screenshot.

I have seen that effect currently only sometimes on iPod 4 and iPhone 3G devices but never on any higher devices. And this is memory related it depends on much memory the tour will use (the number of thumbnails, sounds or videos have an influence on that).

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Yes - the setting devices="ios7" means iOS 7.0.0 and higher.

Perhaps the documentation can be changed because according to it:

Zitat

ios### - use this element only when the iOS version is higher than ###

Apologies if this seems a bit knit-picky but it could be important in some settings.

Thanks for your clarifications.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!