Polygonal Hotspots in VR

• Hi Klaus,

I wonder if it will be possible to use polygonal hotspots with VR in the 1.19 final release?

Thanks a lot for the information *smile*
    Arion

• Hi,

they are basically planed, but I can't say yet if they will be supported already in the final 1.19 release. The reason is that this is technically quite ambitious and a lot of work and code but hasn't the highest priority compared to many other things that are still todo.

To be able to render such hotspots with WebGL, it's necessary to tessellate the polygonal hotspot itself and also the border-line into a lot of triangles and that's not that easy as it might sound. Additionally also an internal caching of these tessellations and a hit-testing would need to be implemented. And all that code would need to be fast and small of course ;-).

Best regards,
    Klaus

• It will be great when we can add polygons in VR mode, but I agree it's absolutely not necessary by now..

Hey sacha, I could not find those poligon builder, just some tools to add drills, ugly 3d text, ...

The editor is pretty good but has some holes as far as being intuitive.

Important notes I figured out after playing with it for just a little bit.
    Top right area, next to "Share" toggles edit and play.
    The next row below this is four icons that select different elements to add to the scene.
    The box icon has presets for shapes. You can import your own 3d models to add to your own VR!
    The "Search for models" is just a browser for stuff online, you have to go to the page and then download/extract the files.. and then use the "Model or Image" button to upload them to the project.
    The ui for rotating, scaling and moving objects is pretty cool.

Here's a quick project I made.

https://www.holobuilder.com/app/index.html…744428483969024

If this was all built with a krpano viewer, this would be awesome. Or being able to export the 3d stuff into something that could be imported into a real krpano project. Holobuilder uses low resolution equirectangulars.. and sadly I don't think that's going to cut it for a client project.

• Hi,

the Holobuilder looks a bit like a fork of the three.js editor and right the UI for placing objects is good...

...but 3d objects are a different topic and technically not related to polygonal hotspots. The polygonal hotspots were defined by spherical coordinates and need to be converted to a render-able data structure at runtime.

But about 3d objects - I'm planing to provide a krpano plugin that shows how to use/embed three.js inside krpano.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• That would be great to have that feature, and I m sure that would bring krpano to a whole new dimension !!
    There are interesting examples with three js where the materials of the 3d objects even get reflection from pano texture.

I would prefer to integrate 3d objects in normal mode before having poly hotspots in VR mode *g*

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!