Parsing Error on Server Only

• Well I'm back.

Does anyone know why I would get a parsing error on a custom xml file...only when it's been posted on the web server?
    The entire tour works just fine on my computer using the local files. I uploaded the tour twice (using FTP) and the same problem exits.
    I printed out the xml file on the server, and compared it to the local xml file. They are identical. However the FTP app shows slightly different file sizes between the two files......but there's also size differences in most other xml files too.
    All my other test tours on the same server work fine. I use the auto setting for the transfer mode.

I'm lost.

• Problem resolved......

I have a scrolling textfield in the tour. In the text data I used non-breaking spaces ( ) to indent paragraphs, for nice appearance.
    These worked perfectly on my local computer. I thought that it was a valid html element.
    Evidently it got messed up in the FTP process...when I tried viewing the "bad" xml file directly in my browser, it said that nbsp was undefined.

I thought   was OK to use. I guess not.

Removing all the   elements fixed it.

Anyone know about this?
    Thanks.

• Hi,

how have you tested locally?

Using a localhost server (like the krpano Testing Server)?

Note - when testing with Chrome with local file:// urls, then the krpano embedding script will fall back to Flashplayer usage, because Chrome blocks the loading of local xml files in HTML5.

And the Flashplayer is way more tolerant to xml syntax errors then the HTML5 browsers.

About FTP upload - I would recommend disabling any ascii-binary translation in the FTP tools, that's completely unnecessary in the most cases.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Sorry for a late reply, I'm working on the tour almost all day, developing some skills.

Yes, you got it right, I test my files locally using Chrome. I will check out the krpano server when I feel confident enough for that.
    I'm happy with my progress as a beginner, even though it can be very frustrating at times.
    Maybe I'll post my test tour in the examples section. But I'm not nearly as sophisticated as many others here.

v

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!