• Not sure how to delete posts........ so apologies for the double post (in beginner). I thought this might be somewhat of a feature request and is more appropriate for this part of the forum.

I was wondering if there was a way to play backwards. I'm trying to setup a background video that would loop by playing the full video in one direction and then going back. Any help would be appreciated!Thank you in advance.

• Hi,

the main reason why this isn't possible, is because video are mainly 'forward' coded - the means newer frames are build with back-references to previous frames.

For playing backward a videoplayer software would need first forward decoded several frames, cache them all and then play them backward and so on - and this can be very inefficient of course. E.g. when having a key-frame-interval of 3 seconds and 30 frames-per-second, the decoder software would need to cache 3x30 = 90 full frames (=a lot of memory and a lot of processing power).

A better solution would be preparing already the video itself for that way.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Hello,
    Klaus, do you think you could implement this feature on the next release ? That would be so great :)
    HMTL5 can manage lots of things now. Heres' an example code of a video playing backward, when you move the seek button it plays the video without stopping anytime, not depending the way your moving it you always play video. I think this would be a great improvement.
    https://codepen.io/blackgghost/pen/qQmjKJ
    There are lot of other examples showing video played backward with html5.
    Thanks for reading me.

• Klaus, do you think you could implement this feature on the next release ? That would be so great :)
    HMTL5 can manage lots of things now. Heres' an example code of a video playing backward, when you move the seek button it plays the video without stopping anytime, not depending the way your moving it you always play video. I think this would be a great improvement.
    https://codepen.io/blackgghost/pen/qQmjKJ
    There are lot of other examples showing video played backward with html5.
    Thanks for reading me.

Under the link, the video player does not play in the reverse order.

There is only a playback bar on which you can move the slider and start playback from any place.
    All this can be implemented in krpano, see an example , click on the play icon and the video will open.

• Hello,
    Thank you very much for your answer and your example.
    I'm sorry but on my link, if I click on the "rewind" button the video cleary plays backward on my browser.
    I think I forgot a precision in my post, I'm not talking about "normal" video but of 360 video playing, your example shows a flat video playing but that's not that way video are playing when used as 360 in krpano, at least on my computers (windows and ubuntu, firefox and chrome).

In krpano 360 video player the seeking button doesn't move while playing which is a bit annoying as you can't know where you are in the video, then if you drag it (which works on your example of a flat video) the video won't play but waits until you stop moving then plays the video at the place you stopped.
    Sorry if my explanations aren't very comprehensible but I'm not native english.
    Thanks again for your answer, I would be really enthusiast if this feature was already possible to implement in Krpano but I'm afraid it's not the case.

• Thank you for your time, I appreciate.
    That's strange, on your example the seeking point moves while the video is playing, good news for me. I just have now to find why it doesn't on my videos... Perhaps it's because they are much heavier and on a higher resolution. I'll give that a try and will do few tests to see if I can manage something.
    According to what you seem to think (that krpano can already manage that), do you think it could be possible to create a button which would rewind (or play backwards) a video ?
    Thanks again :)
    I can't wait for the next release of krpano, as Klaus said in september it's supposed to have new cool features and it was supposed to come out soon, it would be nice if 360 video player had new features, I know we're all waiting and I hope father christmas will soon be there !
    Have a nice week everybody.

• Hi,

the typically video-codecs are not designed for playing backward.

There is typically one key-frame and then several following frames that are depending on that key-frame and all other frames inbetween. That means for playing backward the video-decoder would need to decode always the full interval from one key-frame on the next key-frame before it can show the frames. And this is very inefficent and slow of course.

In your linked example the video was also just simply seeked backwards and on my current system it wasn't smooth at all...

You could try encoding a video with a very short key-frame interval (1-3), then it might work better, but the file would probably become very large...

Best regards,
    Klaus

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!