Does Samsung Gear VR uses build in headtracking?

• Hi,

as far as I know it´s not possible to use the Gear VR with krpano inside it´s Oculus App?! I know that there is an App to disable the Oculus Software. But what´s with the build in headtracking-sensors inside the Gear VR? Do they still control the tracking while using krpano or does the phone do the tracking instead?

I´m very uncertain if the Gear VR brings any pros compared to much cheaper VR headsets when using krpano only?!

Thanks and best regards,
    Nupsi

• Thanks for the reply, Sacha. That´s what I expected. It´s a shame though that really everybody is restricting their hardware to their very own software. But I guess the VR-market is a lot like the console-market, where the purpose of the hardware is to sell software *mellow*

• Hi,

But what´s with the build in headtracking-sensors inside the Gear VR?

krpano runs inside the browser as website and therefore it can only use that the browser provides - and there is no API for any GearVR features there.

Btw - the gyro alone from the GearVR wouldn't be enough and not that important - the low persistence screen refreshing mode and the timewarp are equal or even more important for a very good VR experience.

Maybe that will become once possible by the WebVR API...

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Thanks for the clarification. I did´nt think about the fact that krpano indeed is restricted to the browsers API. Because of the programming-capabilities of krpano it´s easy to forget that there are still some boundaries *g*

@Sacha
    Never heard of Milk VR or OrbX. I´ll check them out *thumbup*

Best regards,
    Nupsi

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!