Photogrammetry models in KRPANO

• Hello Klaus,

With a recent 360 job in cave paintings we noticed that beyond spherical photography photogrammetry is the best way to capture this kind of spaces, as a Krpano lover I'd love to showcase a possible next update to this project in the platform but AFAIK Krpano is not the place to work with complex 3d models right now. I'm aware of 3d model integration through three.js but examples I've seen are still too easy in comparison to huge photogrammetry models so I'm not sure that they could be integrated this way. ¿Is there any future plans to incorporate support for this next big trend in photography to Krpano?

Cheers!

• Hi,

that's an interesting topic of course and I'm following it and also experimenting with several topics related to it.

But at the moment there is a bit a 'hen and egg problem' here - until there are no easy or standardized way to produce and process such data, it will be difficult to make APIs or support for it.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Photogrammetry is really taking off in the field of archaeology, but it has some disadvantages at this moment.

What a panorama engine like KRpano provides is a canvas on which it is trivially easy to project and link archaeological context and content. There does not exist an easy way to do the same in a spacial 3d model. So apart from research, these models do not provide anything extra compared to a pano.

The three.js demo that renders 3d object models in KRpano does look very promising and it looks as if this will be able to handle scanned objects just fine. Unfortunately the conversion process to json objects is a pain at this moment.

• I don't think panos + photogrammetry has nothing to do specifically with archeology, but anything in general. Taking in care that the lastest VR headsets allow space positioning I think it would be incredible to see some options around with krpano, most probably not complex meshes, but low polygons, which allows most of nowadays architecture...

• It was more an example of how in a discipline like archaeology or cultural heritage, if you will, panoramas and photogrammetry are tools that have very different applications and target audiences.

A highly detailed spacial 3D model would be great for research purposes, but less suitable for general publication. The extra features it packs does not add that much more value compared to the effort in producing such a data set. The spherical panorama however is a perfect medium on which to quickly and easily project layers of information for publicity and education purposes.

The original comment was about cave paintings, and how a spacial model would be nice to use in KRpano, but without asking the question "what is the purpose and who is the audience?", in archaeological terms, the added value of such an application is questionable.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!