hotspot/plugin AS3 help!

• This relates to another post .

What effectively I'm trying to do is have a speech bubble appear over a hotspot and align with the cursor, that is a graphic overlayed with text generated from a data node in the XML.. Sounds easy!?

In order to get the speech bubble to align with the cursor it needs to be called in showtext() and rendered in the flash html renderer. Ideally it would just be a case of calling an image and using showtext to get the text. However, using this method I don't seem to be able to align the text over the graphic.

Apparently you can call another swf instead of an image via showtext, so my idea was to create the graphic in the swf and have a dynamic textfield which would then be populated from the datanode via a new variable. This would be set each time a hotspot is accessed on the onover with a new showtext in the onhover.

Something like this -

Code
    trace(name);
    		hs_text_set(get(name),get(lang));

set(hstext,get(data[%2_%1].content));
    		set(hotspot[%1].onhover,showtext([textformat leftmargin='50'][br][img src='hs.swf' width='180' height='180'/][br][/textformat],hsimage));

My problem is that I don't know AS3 and what I'm trying to do is get this dynamic textfield in the swf to be populated with the variable hstext.

I've tried to write it by a combination of copying stuff I've found and complete guesswork and it's not really getting me anywhere.

Anyone out there who knows AS3 could maybe point me in the right direction? *blink*

The other question I really need answering is 'am I wasting my time and is this method going to work?' *confused*

Edited 2 times, last by viewinz (September 23, 2009 at 6:19 AM).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!