Any Limit to Scenes in Virtual Tour?

• I'm considering a project to build a virtual tour with "many" panos; could be 500 +. Would that be practically feasible, i.e, would the large size of the xml be a handicap to the loading of the Virtual Tour?

• If you have 500+ and you don't know exactly how much, it's better to think about one scene and loadpano.
    We have reached the limit of xml size in one project, although in theory the xml parsing is very fast. But if you have a lot of actions - the little mistakes are grow up.

• I'm considering a project to build a virtual tour with "many" panos; could be 500 +. Would that be practically feasible, i.e, would the large size of the xml be a handicap to the loading of the Virtual Tour?

A monolithic XML file is just one way of making a tour and arguable not the most logical one for very large projects. You'll be running into practical problems long before any technical limits will arise I imagine.

KRpano is highly scriptable and using dynamic loading mechanisms perhaps is a better way to manage large pano's like this. I'd probably think of a database distribution method.

• I guess this would require advanced scripting methods. The project itself resembles Google streetview and will involve a Googlemaps with markers at every road junction or exchange where the panos will be made. Entry points should be at any marker; so I guess that would require an html file in seperate folders for every marker. So jumping to another pano/junction will be from hotspots with loadpano elements. I must try to use the available common xml elements to build the tour.

• We are an AEC firm that uses krpano in a streeview like fashion and our data collection workflow results in tens of thousands of scenes. I'm looking for a similar solution. Our XML file gets HUUUUUGE!

• Hi All

Anyone come-up with a solution to this..? i am trying to do something similar, i have 1000's of 360 images which id like create a tour with. your help will be appreciated

Thanks

• You need to look at graph partitioning algorithms to make smaller virtual tour files
    Since you use are doing a streeview-like virtual tour it makes easier because there is existing research[^1].

example virtual tour graph:
    the stars are the panorama/scene nodes

cut the graph into sub-graphs (XML files) at the intersections
    you should end up with sub-graphs that look like this:

Code
          |
          |
          |
          |

* the node at the start and end of the sub-graph have hotspots linking to the other sub-graphs (XML files) forming a street network graph.
    * if you are using the Navigator Plugin, you'll need to include the nodes around the intersection to allow the Navigator Plugin to work and adapt the sceneFound action to load the new XML files

[^1]: Lippman, Andrew, "Movie-maps: An application of the optical videodisc to computer graphics," Proceedings of the 7th annual conference on Computer graphics and interactive techniques, Seattle, Washington, United States, 1980, pp. 32–42.

• Anyone come-up with a solution to this..? i am trying to do something similar, i have 1000's of 360 images which id like create a tour with. your help will be appreciated

The only way out for very large projects is to stop using <scene>.
    You have to use the "old one" method of creating virtual tour projects, where each scene had its own XML. You use loadpano() instead of loadscene() .

Thanks to this, it doesn't load all XML files, only those that are responsible for the interface, actions, etc. ... the XML panoramas files are loaded dynamically, later, after user interaction.

I think so.. *huh* I haven't tested it for a long time, but my previous projects are based on that.

Piotr

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!