What is most cost effective VR setup for fixed locatoin?

• I have a visitors' center interested in a VR goggle tour. I've demonstrated using a (high end) cardboard setup with my phone but there must be something better for them to have permanently at the center. Something between an Oculus Rift and a cardboard viewer using your personal phone. Maybe an advanced cardboard view with a non-phone min-tablet?

Installing several Oculus systems would be far too expensive. Asking visitors to use their own smartphone would be too confusing for most.

Recommendations?

Thanks!

• You might consider a Samsung phone with the GearVR. However, the built in GearVR browser (which is the only way to access a KRPANO created site, of course) is notoriously unreliable. Maybe it's been improved since I last tried it? Plus, the reliability of that browser to fully work with webvr? Hmm.

The other choice is an iPhone with the VR One. That would be my route.

The issue with viewers is this: I've tested many different brands. In terms of the cardboard style, the PowisVR is the best, hands down.

I've tried a ton of those plastic viewers in the $20-$50 range. They are all pretty much garbage. The Powis had as good a viewing experience as any of them. Sure they have more adjustments, but the build quality is so terrible on all of them they simply wouldn't hold up. That IPD adjustment is cool....until it breaks off within a matter of days.

What about security for the devices and phones? Is that an issue?

• Oh, one last thing: Google will be coming out with their 'Daydreamer' viewer in the fall. That might be worth checking out as well. Android only, but the price range is supposed to be around $100 or less.

• Thanks landrvr1,

What you suggest is pretty much pretty much where I'm at for my demos. Phone in a cardboard headset. I currently use the Blitzwolf VR. Very well made, sturdy and I really like/need the focus and IPD adjustments.

I'm not fond of suggesting that they buy expensive phones with no intention of using them as phones. There has to be a better option.

• Ah, that's interesting. I haven't seen the new Blitzwolf BW-VR3, but I have tried the older model. Does the BW-VR3 allow people with glasses to wear the viewer? On the old model, unless you had very small frames it was impossible to enjoy with glasses on.

I totally agree on the issue of buying a phone that's $$ and only going to be used for one thing, lol. It's crazy, but that's the problem with the market right now. You've got the Rift and the Vive - that's it. I can't think of a single dedicated viewer on the market other than those two that are proven and reliable. There's about a half dozen companies that are promising one in the Fall/Winter, but.... Google cancelled plans for their dedicated viewer a while back; while Samsung says it's working on one.

On another note, I'm going to send you a PM....! *smile*

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!