taking video for video hotspot overlays

• hi guys

i've seen some examples about video overlays in panoramic content and was thinking about the best way to record it.

at the moment i see several problems to solve:
    - use only 1 camera for photo and video or have one for each task
    - can i use the fisheye lens for both or do i need a
    - how to get the same view for perfect alignment in krpano
    - what about brightness/contrast/color differences between panorama and videohotspot
    - stitching and getting the video to the wright place (seamless alignment)
    - using mask

my thoughts:
    i was thinking about to take the video wright from the pano head.
    so you can use the same camera, the same lens and also the point of view will not change while getting another camera in place.
    -> i don't know how the different codecs will affect color/contrast of the video. a solution could be to record raw video to get the same data.
    -> i really don't know how to get the video over the image in perfect alignment. as it is shot with the same camera, lens and position, it should be possible to just get the video in and move to the wright position. am i wrong?

what do you have experienced with video overlays?

thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts
    sven

• Hi, I am also in finding ways to solve these problems.

- use only 1 camera for photo and video or have one for each task

Yes, better if you use one camera and one lens for pano and video, this will improve the color and geometric difference.
    I use Canon 5d and 24-70 or 24-105 lens.

- can i use the fisheye lens for both or do i need a

I think this is not good solution, fisheye gives a bad image quality.

- what about brightness/contrast/color differences between panorama and videohotspot

well, that's a serious problem for me now. I was not able to remove the difference when shooting.

I mount the video in Sony Vegas, I think it is not a good solution.
    Better to use the Adobe After Effects.

moreover between photos and video there is a difference in the RGB color space, to understand this read about RGB color space, 24 and 32 bit.

I was not able to make color matching.

The edges of the video can be seen on the panorama, and I had to use a clipping mask: Pano and Video hotspot color matching

- stitching and getting the video to the wright place (seamless alignment)

To do this, you need experience and time. This is an excellent solution for alignment video: Video Hotspot Editor

i don't know how the different codecs will affect color/contrast of the video. a solution could be to record raw video to get the same data.

Codecs do not change color, but the colors of video on different computers may depend on the GPU settings.

• thanks for sharing your thoughts!

as for now i would go with the following setup:
    - sony a7r ii
    - metabones ef to e-mount adapter
    - all new sigma 12-24mm f4 art lens

To do this, you need experience and time. This is an excellent solution for alignment video: Video Hotspot Editor

this tool looks really great, i have to try this out soon.

moreover between photos and video there is a difference in the RGB color space, to understand this read about RGB color space, 24 and 32 bit.

can't we try to get decrease the bits of the fotos to the same level the video ones are? we will loose some colorinformation, but maybe the colormatching gets better?
    ever tried shooting raw with the canon 5d (mk2 or mk3)? then you should get sequence of pictures in same bit depth i think.

do i need to use a specific blend mode when i want to get videohotspots in later? with a regular pattern and not dynamic?

thanks
    sven

• can't we try to get decrease the bits of the fotos to the same level the video ones are? we will loose some colorinformation, but maybe the colormatching gets better?
    ever tried shooting raw with the canon 5d (mk2 or mk3)? then you should get sequence of pictures in same bit depth i think.

I tried different filters for Sony Vegas (such as ComputerRGB to StudioRGB) but there is no result.
    I use mark 3, I turned off all the digital processors in the camera. I put on a tripod - shoot a photo, then immediately take video. And the colors are different, it can be clearly seen even look at the PC. Maybe something is wrong with my camera and you have such a problem will not be.

do i need to use a specific blend mode when i want to get videohotspots in later? with a regular pattern and not dynamic?

I'm sorry, I did not understand what you mean, the difficulties of translation;-)

• I tried different filters for Sony Vegas (such as ComputerRGB to StudioRGB) but there is no result.
    I use mark 3, I turned off all the digital processors in the camera. I put on a tripod - shoot a photo, then immediately take video. And the colors are different, it can be clearly seen even look at the PC. Maybe something is wrong with my camera and you have such a problem will not be.

i think that is normal as you normally have another colorspace when shooting video (mostly Rec709). So while in video mode you can't record that much colors than with a raw still image.
    -> do you know magic lantern? try to shot raw with that, then you should have the same color space. even though when converting to video you will have to check the colorspace it gets.

I mean that in Autopano can i use Blending "Multiband" or should i use "linear", do i need cutting "smart" or "iso"...
    do you use autopano as well?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!