Is the quality of WebVR on a Oculus Rift or HTC Vive worth the investment?

• Hi All,

I have searched the forum but not found any real user reviews / experiences of the differences in quality when viewing a KRPano tour in VR with an Oculus Rift or HTC Vive vs cheaper VR headsets available such as Samsung Gear VR or Google Cardboard. Apologies if it is somewhere. I think this would be a handy resource for people considering buying VR headsets and deciding which ones to use.

By 'quality of experience' I am referring to motion sickness really and any other benefits that an Oculus Rift or HTC Vive might have over other cheaper options.

I have been creating some tours and using Google Cardboard headsets (such as the DSCVR which is a plastic headset) with Nexus 6 phone. The quality is OK but it definitely gives you a headache after a minute or so. I have started to read up and understand the reasons why (latency etc) and I want to improve the quality of the experience so that people can view my tours for longer on these devices. Therefore I'm considering buying either a Samsung Gear VR and S7 phone, or whether I should be investing in an Oculus Rift or HTC Vive. Could people who have experienced these devices comment on the differences in quality etc and benefits for 1 headset over another?

Am I correct in thinking the quality of experiencing VR on a KRPano Virtual Tour will be much better with an Oculus Rift or HTC Vice? I intend on having hotspots in my tours which I read limits the low latency aspect of Oculus Rift? Does that mean the quality is likely to be similar to someone using a Cardboard headset and mobile if a tour has hotspots etc?

Thanks so much in advance!

• The image quality of the Oculus Rift is indeed not that much better than the quality of a good smartphone (S6 or S7) and Samsungs GearVR. But the experience with the oculus rift is still much more immersive. Maybe it´s the incredible smooth headtracking or the unusual and clear lenses, but with the Oculus Rift you feel much, much more transported to the VR-world. The overall quality of the Oculus Rift is in my opinion way better than the Vive. But I really doubt, that the price of either of one is worth using it for krpano only. Except if you´re making your living from panorama photography, than it´s maybe something that could impress your clients enough to choose you *wink*

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!