MPEG-DASH and HLS in any device but missing iPhone

• Hi,
    I manage to create a new video plugin, based on the video player example in the in order to play MPEG-DASH, HLS and MP4 in the browsers that won't support any of the HTTP streaming technologies.
    At this point, the only problem I have is the iPhone playback in safari (but in rest of the browsers too). Even with iOS 10 the video still to be player in the internal video player if I click in the screen. All the other desktop browsers and Android are now working.

Because the stock videoplayer plugin is closed source and it implements very well all the iPhone workarounds, there is a way to switch the videoplayer plugin based on the device? This is not the best solution, but the other solution is to implement the iPhone workarounds in our new plugin and this could end up in a reinventing the wheel job!

In the meanwhile I'm implementing precisely an workaround for iPhone, by seeking the video, as you (krpano) describe in the video player plugin documentation.

The main goal is to have a HTTP stream working for small video, in order to have the best possible video experience depending in the device and bandwidth.

There is any how already have HTTP video streams working in every device?

Cheers! Ricardo

• Hi again,

I spent a lot of time researching about a all round solution and never hear about the iOS 10 Safari playsinline HTML5 video attribute! Better later then never!

The solution so far:

Chrome, Firefox, Edge = MPEG-DASH using Dashif player
    Desktop Safari = HLS using HTML5 video
    Mobile Safari (iOS 10 and greater) = MP4 using HTML5 video with playsinline attribute in order to force iOS safari to allow inline video

Combining the playsinline attribute with HLS video won't work for video pano on mobile iOS 10 Safari, it only plays the audio. At least that's what meets the eye!.

This works, but continues not be solution, simply because there is no HTTP stream solution to to mobile Safari. Preload the MP4 videos is so old fashioned...

Anyone already find a solution to pano video with HLS or even MPEG-DASH? Anyone could help me with this?

Thanks

Cheers. Ricardo

Edited once, last by ricmalta (December 28, 2016 at 3:53 PM).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!