Thin lines that ruin my 360º panoramas

• I’ve a problem when doing the 12 cubemap images in 3DSMAX+VRay for a 360º panoramic view for Google Cardboard with krpano.

I configure VRay to create the 18432x1536 pixels image, that includes the 12x1536x1536 images with the 6 views of left eye and the 6 for right eye.

Everything works fine, but the problem consists of VRay antialiasing adjacent images (rendered cubic panorama bleed into each other), so that the continuity is ruined on flat surfaces, when I stitch the images. I suppose I’m doing something wrong in the VRay configuration.

In the Chaos Group video tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8IsX0vS1Uk&feature=youtu.be), they say that you must “turn off the image filter” in order to avoid this problem. But I turned it off and the problem is the same.

It’s clear that this problem wouldn’t exist in case I do a render without antialiasing, but this render would be useless. Any solution? I searched in the Chaous Group forum, but I couldn’t find a satisfactory answer.

Many thanks!

• Hmm, that's bizarre. I've created many V-Ray panos (7 scenes most recently over the weekend) and don't have that problem as long as I've got image filter unchecked.

Are you running bucket type Image Sampling? If not, try that.

What image type are you producing? I'm creating 48bit PNG files, then using a homemade Photoshop action to mirror the final image and break them into .jpg cubes.

• Hey, got your PM. Here's screenshots of my settings. There's nothing in the actual modeling or lighting rig that will affect the antialias issue you're having.

I'm running Max 2017 with V-Ray 3.40.03

• Many, many, many thanks, landrvr1, for your reply and your time trying to solve my problem!

I think that the problem is in my version of VRay, 3.20. I have the usual image samplers: Fixed, adaptive, adaptive subdivision and progressive

...But your version 3.40, includes a new (at least for me) image sampler called "Bucket". It's clear that this sampler solves the problem. I've done a lot of tests with a lot of parameters, and the problem always remain the same. At least now I'm almost sure about the origin of the problem.

• This is a crazy question: Have you tried rendering with the image filter ON?

I used to render with a prior version of VRay with image filtering and there was never this alias bleed problem. Vlado at Chaos forums confirmed to me recently that this is, in fact, a bug that wasn't there in previous versions.

Though it makes no sense that the issue would go away with image filter on, you just never know! LOL. Strange things are always occurring with the filter and sampling from version to version.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!