Converting pixel distance to ath

• Hi,

I've been struggling and testing for hours and can't find how the relation between pixel size/distance and krpano ath value works *confused* *cry*.

I have a pano image of 7882px * 3941px. Let's say I have an image of 100px * 100px positioned at ath=20 atv=0 and I want a second image of 100px * 100px EXACTLY 100px to the right of it (so stuck to it, no overlap, no gap in between). How do I calculate the ath of the 2nd hotspot image?

I need a formula for it, because the hotspot size will be different every time (e.g. 130px, 246px, etc) and not always 100px.

I thought I could calculate the ath from pixel value as followed:

Code
    ath = (x / imagewidth - 0.5) * 360

but somehow with 100 and 7882 this gives me 4.567369 (the middle example in screenshot attached), which is way too little. I noticed it was 4/10 of what it should be (but I have no clue why!), so multiplied it by 2.5 (or 4/10) to get the example on the right, which fits seamlessly and is what I want to achieve. But when the hotspot size changes, to 200px for instance (example on the left), this value doesn't work anymore and there is a gap.

Anybody knows how I can get the ath position/difference if I know the pixel position/difference?

• Hi,

for distorted hotspots a pixel size of 1000px relates to a fov of 90 degree.
    That can be used as base for calculations.

Btw - the pixel size of the pano image itself doesn't matter in any way, the hotspot coordinates and sizes are independent from that.

Summary:
    - ath/atv are spherical coodinates
    - but the hotspot itself is 'flat'
    - to find the 'next' ath/atv coordinate, the flat hotspot surface would need to get projected to the spherical pano surface

The remaining stuff is 'just' trigonometry ;-).

E.g.
    ath_offset = arctan( hotspot_width_or_offset / 500 ) * 180 / PI;

Or here as krpano xml code:

Code
    <action name="calc_spherical_offset">
      Math.atan2(a, %1, 500);
      calc(%2, a * 180.0 / Math.PI);
    </action>

<hotspot name="h1" url="..." distorted="true" ath="0" width="200" height="100" />
    <hotspot name="h2" url="..." distorted="true" ath="0" width="200" height="100" onloaded="calc_spherical_offset(+200,h); add(ath,h);" />

Btw - for 'parallel' offsets, simply the same ath/atv coordinates could be used plus defining the offsets by the ox/oy variables.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Hum , I guess there is something I didn't get...
    Here is an example : https://360images.fr/calc_ath/

Code
    <action name="calc_spherical_offset">
      Math.atan2(a, %1, 500);
      calc(%2, a * 180.0 / Math.PI);
    </action>

<hotspot name="h1" style="bgthumbnails" ath="0" />
    <hotspot name="h2" style="bgthumbnails" ath="0" onloaded="calc_spherical_offset(+200,hotspot[get(name)].ath);" />
    <hotspot name="h3" style="bgthumbnails" ath="0" onloaded="calc_spherical_offset(+400,hotspot[get(name)].ath);" />
    <hotspot name="h4" style="bgthumbnails" ath="0" onloaded="calc_spherical_offset(+600,hotspot[get(name)].ath);" />

second hotspot is not "just" after the first one, and after it's worth...
    Did I understood the formula in a wrong way ?

THX !

• Hi,

you can't use just increasing offsets like +200, +400, +600 - that's wrong!
    The given offset is the flat one, but the resulting a spherical one. Just increasing the flat one, will not relate to the spherical one.

If all hotspots have the same size, you could simply use a multiple of the calculated spherical coordinate.
    E.g. this way: (for the better understanding)

Code
    <hotspot name="h1" style="bgthumbnails" ath="0" />
    <hotspot name="h2" style="bgthumbnails" ath="0" onloaded="calc_spherical_offset(+200,h); calc(hotspot[get(name)].ath,h*1);" />
    <hotspot name="h3" style="bgthumbnails" ath="0" onloaded="calc_spherical_offset(+200,h); calc(hotspot[get(name)].ath,h*2);" />
    <hotspot name="h4" style="bgthumbnails" ath="0" onloaded="calc_spherical_offset(+200,h); calc(hotspot[get(name)].ath,h*3);" />

Or here a more complete example with dynamic sizes:

Here the more complicated part is the timing, that means each image is waiting for the previous one to be ready for the arranging. This is done here by the custom 'arranged' attribute which will be set to false at the beginning and the callwhen action to wait until each previous hotspot had been processed.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Thanx for that fast replay Klaus,
    Ok I understand and the thumbnails will all have the same width, but even with just 2 thumbnails the result is false and the second thumbnail is a bit over the first one.
    I updated the exemple with only 2 thumbnails : https://360images.fr/calc_ath/

first hs : ath=0
    second hs : ath : 21.80140948635181

second one should be something like 22.6

Did I misunderstood the use of your formula ?

THX !!

• Right, my first example is slightly wrong, it uses the full hotspot width as offset, but this is wrong for a center aligned hotspot. Correct would be using the half width offset from the left hotspot and the half width offset from the right hotspot.

I have done it correctly in the 'more complete' example above.
    This would definitely work (because this time I've tested the code before posting ;-)).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!