Better debugging rant and plea

• Hi!
    I would welcome better error reporting or a debugging mode.
    I'm reworking some old code made for before HTML5 and it's extremely frustrating having only silent errors or weird behavior.
    The old "XML parsing failed" is a classic. The code is valid XML, but in one of the 1000+ lines of code, there is an Krpano error.
    One character commenting would also be very welcome and at least ameliorate a bit of the debugging difficulties.

Rant over.

That said Krpano is still the only choice regarding pano work.

• Hi,

a small tip.
    when you drag your xml on the browser, it shows you where the error is and mostly also what the problem is.

Tuur *thumbsup*

• Hi,

a small tip.
    when you drag your xml on the browser, it shows you where the error is and mostly also what the problem is.

Tuur *thumbsup*

Thanks, but I'm already validating my XML.
    The thing is that there is no specificity in error reporting. I was referring to a Krpano error in valid XML. I believe that could be easily reported, Klaus could just run an XML validator and if it passes but still has errors, just throw a different message.

Ah :)

• Hi,

it's always a bit a balance, too much error checking and reporting makes the code big and slow, but too few isn't also okay of course.

For the next release I have already an advanced checking for invalid variable names (the reason for several strange errors), together with a error-reporting that makes it easier to locate the problem in the xml.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Hi,

it's always a bit a balance, too much error checking and reporting makes the code big and slow, but too few isn't also okay of course.

For the next release I have already an advanced checking for invalid variable names (the reason for several strange errors), together with a error-reporting that makes it easier to locate the problem in the xml.

That sounds great! Keep up the good work.

Last time I did Krpano was 6-7 years ago and none of the code will run on the current version. It took some time and patience to figure out what has changed in meantime. It took a few very frustrating days, but I seem to have gotten the hang of it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!