Advantage of new MAKE VTOUR (MULTIRES) droplet vs VR-OPT???

• Hi,

the VR-OPT droplet:

• generates additional smaller (for the typically VR headset resolution optimized) images
      - for faster loading and rendering in VR
    • when using stereo-images as input, it generates the stereo output images only for the VR images,
      for non-VR usage the stereo images would be unnecessary in the most cases and only waste of disk-space
    • and for normal viewing it generates normal multires images (like the multires droplet)

the MULTIRES droplet in difference:

• generates always multires images for the input
    • regardless if mono- or stereo images are used as input

These differences are only a few different settings in the config files - e.g. try also comparing them and have a look into the config file documentation:
    https://krpano.com/tools/kmakemultires/config/#top

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Howdy Klaus,

I think I fully understand the differences that you first described when you released pr10. I'm also quite adept at modifying config files, which I do extensively. I'm just trying to understand the relative advantages and disadvantages -- your thinking in creating the two paths.

For me, I see little downside to only using VR-OPT so as to have the faster VR loading available when desired. The only downside is a slightly larger project than needed if you aren't offering a VR view, easily worth it (to me) unless you rarely or never plan to offer VR mode. When it comes to stereo images VR-OPT only produces them for the VR image. With MULTIRES, stereo images are produced for all levels. That nearly doubles the size of the project for no advantage unless you are displaying on something like a 4K 3D monitor as far as I can tell, if that is even an option. For current headsets, there remains the disadvantage of slower image loading without the VR image.

I wonder what I am missing or misunderstanding, if anything, so I can better choose the path best for me.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!