General encryption questions

• As a matter of course I have been encrypting my tour.xml and vtourskin.xml files before uploading them to my server. I have had no problems until today, when someone contacted me to say they were seeing a Wrong encryption! error message on one of my panoramas.

On my MacBook Pro running Sierra I could not see the problem when viewing the panorama in either Safari or Firefox, but I could see the error when viewing with an older machine running Firefox with Flash enabled.

I have re-encrypted the files and the problem seems to have gone away, and I guess I will never know what went wrong, but it has raised a couple of questions in my mind -

1. I am using the krpano tools included in the latest pr-10 download to encrypt the files, but the viewer files are from the pr-3 release. When I am working on a new panorama I will often use an old one as the starting point and just change the image tiles and tweak the .xml and .html files accordingly. Does this matter? Or should I always encrypt using the tools from the same release as the viewer files?

2. I had turned on private encryption in krpano tools. As I understand it this means that the panos can only be viewed using viewer files generated by my licensed version of krpano. Is this correct, please? I am not really sure I see the point of this though. If someone was to pirate my panoramas they presumably would download the whole folder, including my viewer files. If they were to subsequently upload the panorama including my viewer files this would still work. Or am I missing something here?

I guess these are questions for you, Klaus. Any thoughts would be much appreciated, please.

Kind regards

Andrew

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!