Support for "devices" with 4k+ displays / more than 2 resolution options

• I'm brainstorming a way to have 3 different resolutions of panos instead of the default 2. Currently we are using 2048 pixel tiles for the standard resolution and 1024 pixel tiles for mobile devices like this...

<image>
    <cube url="panos/blahblah.tiles/pano_%s.jpg"/>
    <cube url="panos/blahblah.tiles/mobile/pano_%s.jpg" devices="mobile"/>
    </image>

We're beginning to display content on 4k screens and generating content with 4096 pixel tiles. However, if we use the 4096 content across the board, it gets jerky on tablets and desktops without a powerful enough video card to support the 12k content. Ideally, I'd like to implement something like this...

<image>
    <cube url="panos/blahblah.tiles/pano_%s.jpg"/>
    <cube url="panos/blahblah.tiles/mobile/pano_%s.jpg" devices="mobile"/>
    <cube url="panos/blahblah.tiles/hires/pano_%s.jpg" devices="hires"/>
    </image>

where the 4096 pixel tiles would be loaded only on screens exceeding N (probably 4000) horizontal or vertical pixels. The assumption being a 4k display will most likely have the video hardware to support that resolution of content. Obviously "hires" is not a supported device type and although I consider myself a pretty advanced user of Krpano, I can't come up with a good way to implement this. Any chance we could get some native support for a "hires" device or can anyone suggest a good way to implement a custom device type or some other workaround? Thanks for reading.

Edited once, last by bhh (August 3, 2017 at 9:07 PM).

• I haven't tested this yet I'll add that I think a temporary solution will be to use...
    devices="desktop+touch"

That is a relatively rare combination that should capture how we are currently using our 4k displays as a temporary workaround/solution. However, a method for targeting devices with 4k displays would still be preferable at addressing this specific issue if there is a more direct way to accomplish that.

cheers.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!