Gear VR - Oculus Browser / Samsung Internet

• Hello 360gradenfotografie, strange issue, I've been following same procedure that your vid in both browsers and krpano runs like a charm. I'm using Galaxy S7 (Android 7.0) + white GearVR (Consumer edition) + Oculus Browser 3.6.5, I guess is just a matter of upgrade or in worst scenario incompatibility in some platforms.

This is the link that I've tested and works, check it out: http://360.wilmingtonandbeaches.com/vr.html

Best

Luis

• That's interesting 360gradenfotografie, I've just tested this private tour I'm coding in which I used pr12 specifically for VR and it works equally well (Console hidden but it's pr12, just checked again http://link).

Now this is odd, I just tested the WebVR link at Krpano site and indeed it struggles exactly like your video shows. I guess this is more an issue of the embedding of the krpano example at site than Oculus browser incompatibility with the viewer.

What do you think Klaus? And also, with this great new integration of Krpano in Oculus platform I was about to create a post here asking which ways could we developers have to create a stand alone app for this platforms, any possibility here yet?

Best

Luis

• That's interesting 360gradenfotografie, I've just tested this private tour I'm coding in which I used pr12 specifically for VR and it works equally well (Console hidden but it's pr12, just checked again http://skynav360.com/clients/haig-point/vr.html).

I did some testing. When I use webvr.js and webvr.xml of pr8, and all other krpano files of pr12, it works just like it should! Any thoughts, Klaus?

By the way, I think it won't be possible soon to create standalone apps from WebVR/krpano files. Let's hope Oculus/Samsung will create the feature to add web bookmarks to the 'desktop'.

• Hi,

thanks for the report - this was unfortunately a side-effect from an other 'fix'...

In the current Android Chrome versions (before version 62) the WebVR API itself is already there, but not working - and that leads to a wrong WebVR support detection. The WebVR API would be detected to be there, but it wouldn't be working and so there was no VR support all, even no 'MobileVR' support (=VR by gyro/accel tracking + manual lens distortion).

And to avoid that the native WebVR API usage was blocked for Chrome version before 62.

But this unfortunately had blocked also the GearVR Samsung browser because that's also a Chrome-based browser.

In the next release there will be a exception for the GearVR browser to allow using the WebVR API there.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• In the next release there will be a exception for the GearVR browser to allow using the WebVR API there.

Great, thanks! Speaking of WebVR; are there any plans to implement support for the Gear VR Controller (and/or the Daydream Controller, Oculus Remote)? To be able to activate a hotspot with a click instead of the current time out.

The experience in Gear VR is far better than google Cardboard.

It is! Especially since the Oculus Browser came out. I've never liked the performance of the Samsung Internet Browser for Gear VR.

• Hi,

I went back to PR8 and it worked for me!

Here a quick workaround for the current version - just insert that code anywhere in the xml:

Code
    <action name="gearvr_webvr_api_workaround" autorun="preinit" type="Javascript" devices="html5"><![CDATA[
      if (navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase().indexOf("mobile vr") >= 0)
      {
        krpano.device.chromeversion = 62;
      }
    ]]></action>

Great, thanks! Speaking of WebVR; are there any plans to implement support for the Gear VR Controller (and/or the Daydream Controller, Oculus Remote)? To be able to activate a hotspot with a click instead of the current time out.

Yes.

It is! Especially since the Oculus Browser came out. I've never liked the performance of the Samsung Internet Browser for Gear VR.

I agree - the GearVR Oculus Browser and the performance of it's WebVR API support is great!

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Is there anyway to enter in VR mode with Chrome and a Daydream headset? I can only see the players launch page but nothing is clickable. Regular webpages work fine, but anything from the krpano viewer does not work. I tried Chrome 61 and the 62 Beta.

• I've tried your solution Klaus, and it works!
    Now I can see tours into Gear Vr using Oculus Browser and they runs really much better than using Firefox or other browser.

Now I have however a big trouble because all the startup view of the scenes are impossible to set, seems that is not possible to avoid the influence of the headset direction...

i've tried all the suggested solutions like:

if(webvr.isenabled == true, webvr.resetSensor(70), set(view.hlookat,70)
    or
    onstart="if(webvr AND webvr.isenabled, webvr.hlookat(92) )"

but with no success.

I've to close my work in few days, so I REALLY need help... Thx

Luca

• First of all Jordi thanks for your help, it's really appreciated (I've sent you also a private message, sorry for boring you).

I've tried as you suggested:

onstart="if(webvr AND webvr.isenabled, webvr.lookat(70,0) )"

but not work completely well.. try to explain the problem:

I have two scene (P0 and P1).
    The tour start from P0, then I click to P1 (the room on the left, see the tour link attached) and I enter correctly with the webvr.lookat setting.
    But if I try to exit from the room P1 to P0 (note that the headset position vary from the initial scene) and then try to re-entry in P1, the starting view is different than before.
    It seems to me that the headset position of my Gear VR have influence. I've tried also to place (in wrong position I've supposed) the resetsensor command, but with no success.

Here the link to my tour:

http://www.areasana.com/virtualtour/tour.html

The only room that I am testing now are Hall (the starting scene P0) and Showroom (P1) on the left.

• Great to know!
    Many thanks for your reply Klaus.
    There is something that I could do with my .xml in the meantime (I've to close an important work in few days and could be fantastic to show krpano tour with VR Gear)?

Many thanks to all in any case.

Luca

• Hi guys, thanks for all these informations.

I Have another problem related to this : My Tour made on pr14 works perfectly in VR mode/full screen on "OCULUS BROWSER" but not in "Samsung VR".

In samsung VR it works when it's on frame, but a soon as I click on the VR icon it not display it well !

Thank in advance for you contribution

• Hi,

in confirm - the current version of the Samsung VR browser has a bug in its WebVR support - the browsers wrongly uses the CSS style size of the webgl canvas element instead of the real canvas pixel size for it's internal rendering.

The next krpano release (1.19-pr15) will have a workaround for that.

Best regards,
    Klaus

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!