Offline Viewing - standalone html viewer?

• I give virtual tours on usb drives to be used offline. Many reasons for this that are not worth discussing. I need virtual tours to be able to work offline. I produce tours of 100-300 panos using Panotour pro

I am being prompted because as a mac user I discovered that the updated safari won't allow viewing offline. It now has a black image with an index.xml error text. The tour works fine online and in firefox so I know it is a safari bug.

I always receive angry calls and emails about why things don't just work. I typically work with people who are not that IT savvy. I have been giving usb disks out with a copy of a mobile version firefox.

I was looking at http://www.3dvista.com and saw they can export to a standalone viewer. Brilliant!!!!

Their software is too slow for me to use, however I thought I would ask.

Does anyone know of software that will package html content and allow it to work in a standalone viewer without issues?

• I produce tours of 100-300 panos using Panotour pro

Maybe consider using krpano instead of Panotour ;-).

Because of these local running problems, there is a new 'tour_testingserver' tool (for Windows and Mac) included in krpano since a few versions.

It's a very simple localhost server, it normally located in the tour folder and only need to be clicked/started once and the tour will automatically open the default browser of the user. No settings or interaction from the user required. And the server itself is very small, without any branding and can be also renamed in any way.

Maybe simply download krpano and try using the MAKE VTOUR droplet.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Thanks Klaus

That worked for Chrome, however the same message appears in Safari. I need the testing server to be more streamlined though. Not a reflection on you as it is pretty simple and seems robust, however on the people that need to use it who get mad when I suggest downloading firefox. I can have 1000 links in a project, so I need to be able to work fast, hence I use Panotour.

I just came across this page with a few suggestions
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4869…op-applications

And this which looks better if I can get it to work on a production scale. https://electron.atom.io

Do I detect a bit of dislike for team goPro?

• I need the testing server to be more streamlined though.

Do you mean the krpano Testing Server or the 'tour_testingserver'? (and have you even tested that one?)

But using Electron or NWJS for standalone HTML5 applications is also an possibility of course.

Do I detect a bit of dislike for team goPro?

No, but I know about posts from the panotour support (in their forum) like:

In the latest versions of KrPano (used in PTP from 2.5.x) KrPano, has decided to block local viewing completely unless the tour is accessed from a webserver.

which are completely nonsense of course!

• The testing server

Wow! So I just need to put these two files in the same folder as the the html file and then it is opens in the web browser!!!!

Does it work with all browsers? It works with a project that wouldn't run under the testing server. Klaus you are a genius!!

This saves me having to work out how to make Electron work.

Is there a way to make the page more visual? Perhaps an image of the tour or instructions? This is fantastic!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!