Shooting into the Sun...

• i All,

First time poster... I've been shooting panoramas for a few years. When shooting a 360/180 pano during the day, the Sun will inevitably make an appearance in the montage. On the frames that contain the sun, I get sunspots and light streaks that don't work with the surrounding frames. There are also exposure issues. If I shoot on manual exposure, the sun shots are blown out, while everything else looks lovely.

How do you all deal with the sun?

I'm currently shooting with a DJI Mavic Pro drone, which can only shoot 30° above the horizon. So, I velcro'd a GoPro to the top of the drone, set to shoot images of the sky every 30 seconds, while the drone shoots the other 42 images (5 rows / 8 columns / 2 nadirs). This setup is working pretty well - except... The camera on the Mavic really ain't all that. It's a cheap fixed-aperature (f2.2), with a tiny sensor (think cell phone).

I thought of trying my polarizing filter, but I can't make adjustments to its angle while in flight.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!