Integrate 3D point cloud into krpano for dimensional measurement within panoramic scenes

• Dear all,

I am new to krpano as we have just purchased krpano licenses
    recently…

My question is that 'Is it possible to import 3D scan data
    (point cloud) into panorama picture inside krpano so that users can take
    measurements of any objects appeared in the pano view? The reason why I’m asking
    this question is because we use 3D Laser Scanner to perform 3D scanning of a
    scene (factory, building, any big objects...) and the 3D Laser Scanner can
    produce an HDR panorama photo per each scanning position. However, apart from
    panorama image, what is most relevant resulted from a 3D Laser Scanning is the
    3D point cloud, which comprises of millions/billions of points on the surface
    of any objects in specified working range. This great feature allows users to
    take measurement in order to know any distances/dimensions within that 3D space.
    In our case we use FARO Focus S350 to perform 3D scanning of an industrial park
    of about 250 hecta. and FARO does have a software to combine and convert all
    these scan pointcloud and panorama images together as webshare package so that
    users can open with any web browsers and take measurement from whatever
    panorama view within the 3D scanned space.

I found that krpano is very impressive and powerful in term
    of producing very good user experiences for panorama photos and virtual tours. However,
    I would think that if krpano can be capable of integrating 3D point cloud into
    these panorama images, then it would be great. It would make a big difference
    and I am sure many people will enjoy this functionality if it is available...

I would appreciate your kind advice by giving me some ideas on
    how to get this done within krpano. Thank you very much, Ladies and
    Gentlemen...

Best regards,

Howie Tran.

• Hi,

My question is that 'Is it possible to import 3D scan data
    (point cloud) into panorama picture inside krpano so that users can take
    measurements of any objects appeared in the pano view?

No yet, but there will be soon some news in that direction.

But any data for testing (pano + point cloud or depthmap) would be very welcome of course.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Hi Klaus,

Thanks for your prompt response, it’s much appreciated.

For your reference and further research on this topic, I am
    sending you a sample scanned data of the campus of a university which has been
    scanned by my team (STAR GLOBAL JSC) using FARO 3D Laser Scanner. The scanned
    data has be exported and delivered in 2 forms:

1. 1. WebshareCloud: The exported scan data is
    uploaded to FARO hosting server, you can access to your scanned data package at
    following link:
    https://apac.websharecloud.com/?v=om&t=p:defa…om:4&p=pvu-ver3

2. 2. Webshare2Go: This is also packaged but data will
    be stored locally on your computer instead of hosting on cloud. You can put it on a USB stick or a hard
    drive as a mean of data exchange with your clients/partners. You can download
    the sample data package from my Google drive:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WFUCho…iew?usp=sharing

Please go ahead to do a more in-depth studies on Webshare2Go
    data packaged to see if this packed data can be extracted or retrieved using
    krpano with xml programming. In my personal feeling, this is all possible
    because all distances and panorama images are linked to each others and self-contained
    in that standalone data package already. Of course data structure needs to be
    well understood in order to see what information can be utilized in what manner.

Hope to receive positive feedback from krpano on this
    subject. Thank you Klaus…

Best regards,

Howie.

• Hi,

thanks for the example!

Yes - the image itself are normal spherical images and the '.dist' files are spherical depthmap images in 32bit-floating-point format.

It should be possible to use that in krpano soon, but more details once ready.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Thanks Klaus,

Look forward to hearing positive updates on this dimensional measuring feature from krpano very soon. That would make a great difference!

If you need further example or reference documentation regarding 3D point cloud, please feel free to drop me an email at (howie.tran@starglobal.com.vn). I am very happy to provide and support accordingly.

Have a nice weekend...

Best regards,
    Howie Tran - Managing Director

STAR GLOBAL EXPERT SOLUTIONS JSC
    Phone: +84 979 883 681
    Email: howie.tran@starglobal.com.vn

http://www.starglobal.com.vn

• great thread!

Klaus, how is the depthmap coming along?

I know a few tricks on how to bake depth maps for my panos, and would like to experiment.

Think if the tx ty tz coordinates would be Camera-Local coordinates instead of World coordinates, we could setup a neat effect. Camera would swivel around a center point, and with a depth-distorted sphere that could give a very sweet parallax shift.

• Hello,

I am new to this forum and I just discovered your 360 pano solution which is very powerful. I work with photogrammetric point clouds from images taken by drones. In flight, 360 ° photos are taken and we know the coordinates of these panoramas.

We are distributing point clouds with potree (http://potree.org/), which is a free library based on three.js.

My project is to combine a 360 ° solution like yours and point clouds to take measurements directly on photos but on a cloud of points, like Autodesk Recap (https://help.autodesk.com/cloudhelp/2017/ENU/Reality-Capture)

My question: does krpano have the ability to do it? And if so, how?

Thank you

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!