Webvr not working with Chrome's latest updates

• Hi Klaus,

I just wanted to let you know that currently krpano's webvr mode is not working with the latest chrome update on android (65)... have you noticed the issue ? If so do you know when and how there will be a fix to this :(

*confused*

Thanks

Aladdin !

• I do have the same problem (galaxy S7 too), everything looks fine until I try to use the gyroscope: it seems like I can look vertically but not horizontally (when I use the gyroscope). Works perfectly on my laptop, works perfectly with ALL other Android browsers I have.Version of Chrome : 65.0.3325.109

• Hi,

that's an Android Chrome 65 bug!
    Google has broken it!

That doesn't effect only krpano, it affects all browser applications that are using the devicemotion or deviceoritention events.

A workaround is technically not possible, it's necessary to wait for Google for an update. So please make pressure there.

With Chrome 66 these events should work again, but in that version the Chrome browser changes also the gyro rotation values from radians to degrees!

Chrome was previously providing wrong values and fixed that now, but unfortunately without caring about backward-compatibility. That means all old code that was correcting the wrong Chrome values requires an update.

See here for more about that change:
    https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org…Es/jJuhTSEYCwAJ

The next krpano release (1.19-pr15) will have additional Chrome version checks for be able to provide support for old and new Chrome versions.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Hi all,

Thanks everyone for your feedback and to klaus for the detailed explanation.

I've signaled the issue to chrome and even told them that firefox and safari are working to piss them off even more.

Any idea when pr-15 is rolling out ?

Thanks once again ;)

• Hi,

Any idea when pr-15 is rolling out ?

I would say soon...
    Actually I'm still working on several things that I would like to include in 1.19-pr15 but maybe I will forward them to pr16 and only that whats currently ready.

But first we need to wait for the fixed Android Chrome 65 release.
    I would need to know if the 'radians to degrees' change will be in Chrome 65 or Chrome 66 to do the version check correct.

Here for the moment temporary updated gyro2.js and webvr.js plugin - they will assume that the 'radians to degrees' change will be in Chrome 66 and higher:
    EDIT: updated plugins here:

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Thanks for the info and your work Klaus! I can confirm the problem. Tried 3 different Android phones with no problems on Chrome 64 and all three not working on Chrome 65 *cursing*

Regarding:

A workaround is technically not possible, it's necessary to wait for Google for an update. So please make pressure there.

I have clicked the star at the bottom of the issue saying "Vote for this issue and get email change notifications". Is there any other way we can make pressure?

• Hi,

I found a workaround for Android Chrome 65:

Add these lines in the tour.xml after the vtourskin.xml include:

Code
    <plugin name="WebVR" mobilevr_sensor="0" if="device.android AND device.chrome AND device.chromeversion == 65" /><plugin name="skin_gyro" sensor="0" if="device.android AND device.chrome AND device.chromeversion == 65" />

EDIT: here updated plugins without the need for xml changes:

With that setting the webvr and the gyro2 plugins will use the 'deviceorientation' event instead of the 'devicemotion' event.

It will not work as good as with the 'devicemotion' event and due another Chrome bug it will be more jerky on some devices... but at least its better than nothing for the moment...

That workaround will be also included automatically in the next krpano release of course.

And I hope Google will start testing the gyroscope support after that fiasco (3 or more gyroscope related bugs within a short period!) with the next Chrome releases...

Best regards,
    Klaus

• You have made my day Klaus !!! Thanks a lot !

Do you know how we can avoid the jerky effect on some devices, do you have any idea on the devices that are more susceptible to be Jerky ?

Thanks once again Klaus !! *thumbsup* *thumbsup*

• You have made my day also Klaus!! This was causing a major problem for one of our projects and I was waiting for Google to fix it, but without luck. I have just tested your fix and can confirm this works for Chrome 65.0.3325.109

Thank you Klaus for your support and solutions/work-arounds always!

• Hi,

With this fix mobilevr_sensor="0" I've no result.
    No move on vertical and horizontal axis with the fix and vertical only without the fix ! (tested with Huawei P8, LG G4 and Samsung S6)

With krpano 1.19pr14 webvr sample it doesn't work also.

My own code

Edited 2 times, last by benji33 (March 16, 2018 at 9:42 AM).

• Do you know how we can avoid the jerky effect on some devices, do you have any idea on the devices that are more susceptible to be Jerky ?

That 'jerky effect' comes from that Chrome bug:
    https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/iss…d=819413&desc=3

That bug causes that the gyro data will be updated only 5 times per second instead of 60 times per second as normal. And that few data causes an imprecise and jerky control of course.

But the krpano gyro2 and webvr plugins are already compensating that problem a bit by interpolating the gyro data and so smoothing the movement. If you're interested you could try the setting sensor_mode="0" to see how bad only 5 updates per seconds really are ;-).

'Avoiding' that isn't possible because that's a core Chrome bug, but so far it seems with Chrome 66 that bug should be fixed.

• My own code
    <plugin name="webvr" devices="html5" keep="true"
    url="webvr.js"
    mobilevr_sensor="0"

First - it's a very bad idea to set sensor=0 for all devices and browsers!
    It should be set only for Android Chrome 65! (see my example above)
    But I will post shortly updated plugins, where all workarounds will be done automatically, then you only need to replace the plugin files.

With this fix mobilevr_sensor="0" I've no result.
    No move on vertical and horizontal axis with the fix and vertical only without the fix ! (tested with Huawei P8, LG G4 and Samsung S6)

Second - this is not a 'fix', it's a workaround for a Chrome bug!

Here more information, maybe they help understanding:

• The settings sensor="0" for the gyro2.js and the mobilevr_sensor="0" for the webvr.js means that these plugins will use the "deviceorientation" event instead of the "devicemotion" event.
    • That's because the "devicemotion" event is broken in Chrome 65 (only there).
    • So the workaround is to use the "deviceorientation" event instead (even when the tracking itself is not as good).

The 'sensor' settings were basically always there, but not documented (yet), because there should be normally no need to them.
    I have added them now to documentation now - please see here for more information:
    https://krpano.com/plugins/gyro2/#sensor
    https://krpano.com/plugins/webvr/#mobilevr_sensor

So when sensor="0" isn't working in your case (I assume you're testing with Chrome 65) then something strange is wrong and I would recommend contacting the Chrome developers about that. From krpano side there is nothing here.

• Hi,

here updated gyro2.js and webvr.js plugin with automatic workarounds for Chrome 65 and higher:
    krpano_gyro2_and_webvr_plugins_for_android_chrome65_and_higher.zip.zip

Just replace the current files and clear the browser cache.
    Setting in the xml files are not necessary.

The new plugins are automatically using the "deviceorientation" event instead of the "devicemotion" event on Android Chrome 65 - and - for Chrome 66 and higher the 'radians to degrees' change is applied.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Hi,

Of course the sample code above was designed for test only ;)
    Yes it's a workaround and not a fix ... sorry for the mistake.
    Thanks for the lesson about device motion/device orientation.

I've tested the 2 libs for Chrome 65 on 3 devices and it works with them. But your previous workaround post with only the XML edit wasn't working.

Thanks for this quick edit to partially solve the customers problem linked to the Chrome issue.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!