Webvr not working with Chrome's latest updates

• You have made my day also Klaus!! This was causing a major problem for one of our projects and I was waiting for Google to fix it, but without luck. I have just tested your fix and can confirm this works for Chrome 65.0.3325.109

It seems I cheered too early *unsure* I thought the jerky effect Aladdin_VR mentioned wasn't too bad, but it turns out it is worse on some devices. I originally tested on a Samsung A5 which was ok, considering the circumstances (a bit jerky, but doable to watch). But on the Samsung S7 and S8 the jerky effect is actually too strong to be able to watch in VR *wacko* This is a major problem for a large project going public next week.

How can we make pressure at Google for the Chrome update? Are there any channels they are listening to, aside from the bug reports (those I already voted for)??

Thank you for the updated files Klaus! Handy to have the unit change already prepared/ready for when Chrome 66 comes out.

• here updated gyro2.js and webvr.js plugin with automatic workarounds for Chrome 65 and higher:
    krpano_gyro2_and_webvr_plugins_for_android_chrome65_and_higher.zip.zip

Thanks Klaus, you are a legend!! *thumbsup*

A bit jerky on Google Pixel 2, but better than nothing until fixed in Chrome.

• This is a major problem for a large project going public next week.

You could add a detection for Android Chrome 65 and show an message to use another browser - e.g. Firefox or Chrome beta, maybe also with a direct link to the Playstore for downloading it...

How can we make pressure at Google for the Chrome update?

Post here until you will get an answer: *wink*
    https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/iss…d=819413&desc=3

But I think there will be no updated Chrome 65 version, the fix is already in Chrome 66 (currently in beta) and updates for non security related stuff are rare...

According to Google there will be a new Chrome release roughly every 6 weeks (source), the Android Chrome 65 release was on 6. March (source), so it might still some time until an update...

• The new files did not work for me, as if gyro was not available. Firefox android also does not work but in a different way. Rotated -90.

Google Canary app works fine.

Samsung s6 chrome mobile does not work as well.

• Thanks for the updated gyro2 file Klaus, but I'm struggling to get it to work too. Testing on a Moto G4 Plus and getting the same results as the old gyro2; Chrome stable (65.0.3325.109) is sluggish and only works in the vertical axis; Chrome Beta (66.0.3359.30) up to Chrome Canary (67.0.3376.0) work on all three axes but still hypersensitive because of the degrees to radians change.

• Thanks for the updated gyro2 file Klaus, but I'm struggling to get it to work too. Testing on a Moto G4 Plus and getting the same results as the old gyro2; Chrome stable (65.0.3325.109) is sluggish and only works in the vertical axis; Chrome Beta (66.0.3359.30) up to Chrome Canary (67.0.3376.0) work on all three axes but still hypersensitive because of the degrees to radians change.

When it doesn't work in Chrome 65 AND is hypersensitive on newer Chrome version, then that can only mean you haven't updated the files or still load old files from a cache!

• Hi,

tested the gyro2 and webvr updated files but the result is very jerky on chrome 65 android, confirm?

at the moment the best solution is to alert user VR isn"t available on this version of chrome...

• Hi,

but the result is very jerky on chrome 65 android, confirm?

Have you read this thread?
    E.g. the posts:
    *wink*

The jerkiness is related to another Chrome bug (Google has not made just ONE gyro, but at least TWO gyro-related bugs in that Chrome version):

Btw - the right place to post about these bugs is at these Chrome bug reports!
    The more are posting there, the higher that change that Google will fix them quicker.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• We're experiencing problems with the new .js files.

We're currently testing on Chrome 65.0.3325.209 on Android 7.1.1:E6653 Build/32.4.A.1.54.

The new files still work on iOS devices (Chrome and safari) like before. On the above Android though, unlike before where the vertical was sluggish and the horizontal non-existent, we now have no gyro activity at all.

The pano can be found here, please feel free to test it on multiple devices.

Is there any way we have just implemented these files wrong? We are using Panotour so we're not getting knee deep in .js or .xml usually. It's strange, because if we had, then surely the iOS gyro would not work too. We have cleared our cache on iOS devices to check this possibility as well.

Kind regards

Dan

• The pano can be found here, please feel free to test it on multiple devices.

Works fine on my test devices.

When it doesn't work on yours, it means that your device somehow doesn't support the deviceorientation event in Chrome...

So far I know the 'deviceorientation' event is based on some Sensor data directly from the Android system and so further on the device drivers there. And when the system itself doesn't provide any valid data there, then there is nothing left what I can do in this case...

That's also a one reason why the 'devicemotion' event is used by default - it uses other and more raw Sensor data and that is better available on all devices because more independent of the device drivers.

Also note - other systems and browsers might work internally different to Chrome, so they can't be compared directly.

• Hi Klaus,
    I replaced gyro2.js and webvr.js as told.
    Now horizontal moves work in vr mode on chrome 65...
    BUT !....
    moves are not fluid at all as they were with previous version... when moving slowly, that can be ok, but as soon as you move a little bit faster, image "jumps" and that's really not confortable !
    Do you have any idea of what the problem can be and what solution I can set to correct that ?
    Am I the only one to have this ?
    Thanks !

• Thanks you, it workwith lots of flickring on Chrome but didn't work at all on samung browser ! It still vertical horizon instead of horizontal. The version 1.19 pr16 doesn't seem to fix it as well !

thanks

Hi,

here updated gyro2.js and webvr.js plugin with automatic workarounds for Chrome 65 and higher:
    krpano_gyro2_and_webvr_plugins_for_android_chrome65_and_higher.zip.zip

Just replace the current files and clear the browser cache.
    Setting in the xml files are not necessary.

The new plugins are automatically using the "deviceorientation" event instead of the "devicemotion" event on Android Chrome 65 - and - for Chrome 66 and higher the 'radians to degrees' change is applied.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• but didn't work at all on samung browser

Sorry, when you have a non working Samsung browser you have a different and for me unknown problem.

This here is about Chrome 65 and the broken support there. Please read the whole thread and also the 1.19-pr15 release post for more information.

The Samsung browser (called 'Internet' on Samsung devices like Samsung S7, S8) is currently based on Chrome 59 and not affected by this problem.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• still not working..... any news Klaus ?

Sorry, but have you read the posts above? *confused*
    All news and changes that are possible are already there, but when the deviceorientation event is not working on your device, then there is nothing I can do.

Tomorrow (17.4.2018) there should be the release of Chrome 66 for Android and with that version the devicemotion event becomes usable again.

That means if the gyro was working before Chrome 65 on your device, then it should automatically start working again with that Chrome version (assuming you're using the latest krpano version because Chrome has also changed the unit of the gyroscope values with Chrome 66).

• No news about the Chrome 66 update?

What do you want to know?
    I haven't received Chrome 66 for Android yet, but according the Google its deployment has already started.

Have you already got it and it is not working for you?
    That would be strange of course, because in Chrome 66 beta the bug was fixed.

But note - you need to use krpano 1.19-pr16 or the http://gyro2.js/webvr.js files from this thread because beside of fixing that bug Google has also change the unit of the gyro values in that Chrome version.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!