Chrome version61.0.3151.0 can't experience krpano examples with webvr mode

• Hi,

Indeedly chrome 61.0.3151.0 support WebVr apis

I don't think so. I'm not fully sure but I think you would need special hardware (Pixel phone?) and to install several Daydream apps first and also request and include a 'Origin Trials' from Google for your domain...

krpano itself doesn't any special needs - it requests the WebVR API the 'normal way' but when the browser doesn't provide it...

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Hi Klaus,
    I did experience the demo on google pixel device, and I also write a tiny html to test if the WebVR is supported. follow is the html content:

<!DOCTYPE html>
    <script>
    var promiseResolved = false;
    var numDisplays = -1;
    navigator.getVRDisplays().then( (displays) => {
    numDisplays = displays.length;
    document.write(numDisplays);
    if(numDisplays > 0)
    {
    var display = displays[0];
    document.write(display.displayName);
    }
    }).then( () => {
    promiseResolved = true;
    });
    </script>

And the Browser can output "1 Google,Inc. Daydream View (2017)". So I'am sure the running envirenment fully supports WebVR APIs. But when i visit krpano demo, it choose CardBoard Mode.
    By the way, what's the criterion on which krpano choose cardboad mode or webvr mode?

Thanks
    Kevin

• Okay, I have checked my code - right, WebVR is currently blacklisted for Android Chrome < 62.

The reason is that older Chrome versions have the WebVR API but don't allow using it when not whitelisted via Origin Trials. And that lead to no VR support at all.
    That means from 'detection-side' it looks like using the WebVR API is possible, but then when requesting to enter the VR mode, the browser blocks the request.
    Therefore the decision better to blacklist Chrome < 62 to have at least the 'MobileVR' (=gryo-tracking + own lens-distortion) as fallback, better then no VR on Android Chrome at all.

You could try anyway by this 'hack' in krpano to fake the chrome version number:

Code
    <set var="device.chromeversion" val="63" if="device.chrome AND device.chromeversion LT 62" />

But generally it works that way - when the WebVR API is available, it will be used.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Hi Klaus,

As I'm not an expert of building website, I can't get what the 'hack in krpano' mean?
    Does that mean I need add this "hack code" into some setting files of website?

Thanks
    Kevin

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!