CMS4VR hosting question

• Hello everyone...

a few months ago I was sent an enticing offer to purchase the excellent CMS4VR system at an introductory discount, which was still more than I thought I could spend, but ended up taking advantage of in light of wanting to build a 360 portfolio and having to do a proposal for an old client that centres around the use of 360 panos and WebGL/VR.

one of the listed features that enticed me was that it would work on *every* hosting plan, even the cheapest shared hosting plans, such as the Bluehost plan that I have been doing all of my work on for the past 15 years.

while installing the system, though, I got an error (don't have the exact syntax anymore, unfortunately, but it failed installing one of the components), and found that uploading my first panorama (as a single JPG image, created with my Panono camera) failed to show a result.

after much experimentation and a lot of patient help from Piotr, he deduced that the install of the krpano tools binary failed, and the panorama could thus not be processed server-side.

through help from this community, in another thread on this forum, I was able to get krpano tools working locally, which is great, but I have still not given up on the idea that it could work on my shared-hosting Bluehost plan...since the installer tries to put the krpano tools binary into a sub-folder of root, it isn't really a surprise that the install failed on my shared hosting account...I just don't have the time or money right now to upgrade or move my dozens of sites and associated user-accounts, assets and databases to a VPS or dedicated server, so my question is this:

> has anyone else here gotten CMS4VR to process panos on their shared hosting server, and if so, how (and what hosting provider)?

Piotr assures me that it's *supposed* to work on any such account, but I don't see how that is possible, without root access...I would love to avoid the extra steps required to first processing the pano locally and then generating and uploading a Zip file, so any pointers or experience reports that prove from you that it's possible on shared hosting servers would help a lot.

• An interesting entry, especially after dozens of e-mails and several hours of free support in which we gave help and solved problems that were not our cause.
    I made a test especially for you.

1. I bought the cheapest hosting plan "BASIC" on Bluehost. [screen1]
    2. I set the domain 360combo.biz [screen2] [screen3]
    3. I have sent the CMS4VR system installer to the server.
    4. I installed the CMS4VR system in the subdirectory of the 360combo.biz domain [screen4]
    5. I logged in to the CMS4VR system and started adding panorama jpg. [screen5]
    6. Link to the finished project: http://360combo.biz/pieterojakub/ver1/ [this link will be active for about week]

The krpanotools tool (this is a binary file) is enabled by default on the cheapest hosting plan in Bluehost. We did not have to ask anyone or write emails to the server administrator to enable them. Cool :)
    We have checked that Bluehost is a very good hosting for the CMS4VR system.

Till, we do not understand your stubbornness. Once again, we've proved to you that it's not like someone trying to convince you. Especially for you, we have used a lot of time and resources to help you, but we think that you do not read our e-mails at all and do not accept the facts. This time, we even spent our money on something that we do not need to close the subject once and for all.
    You've been their client for fifteen years.
    Maybe you also have technical solutions and an approach to you as a customer from that time?

I even created a video from adding a panorama in Bluehost: https://youtu.be/yWhnH_tx1II

regards
    Piotr from the cms4vr.com team

• without having studied your response in detail, let me publicly apologise to you and the CMS4VR team if I have come across as being unappreciative for the amazing support you have given me...I thought I had made that clear in multiple posts how patient especially you have been, Piotr.

breezing over your post I see that you managed to get it to work on Bluehost, so it is on me now to take it up with Bluehost now and figure out why it fails in my setup.

again, this original post was solely meant to get feedback from others about their install experience on shared hosting plans...nothing more and nothing less.

I am truly sorry, Piotr, if I came across as dick'ish about this...I know how active you are on this forum, so why would I attempt to make CMS4VR look anything other than the visionary system that it is.

and thank you for going through the trouble of confirming the install on Bluehost...as always, you went way beyond what can be expected.
    ok,let the trouble-shooting process with Bluehost begin :-/

(walks away with his head hanging low in shame)

• since I can't be entirely sure that there wasn't an unusual glitch during the initial installation of the CMS4VR system, I'd like to try to install it again before I get back in touch with Bluehost.

does CMS4VR need to be uninstalled before installing it again, and if so, how, or can I install it on top of itself?

the templates which I installed would need to be re-installed again as well, I suppose?

• since I can't be entirely sure that there wasn't an unusual glitch during the initial installation of the CMS4VR system, I'd like to try to install it again before I get back in touch with Bluehost.

does CMS4VR need to be uninstalled before installing it again, and if so, how, or can I install it on top of itself?

the templates which I installed would need to be re-installed again as well, I suppose?

Delete the entire folder with this installation and that's enough or install in another one. You can have thousands of installed the cms4vr systems on the server. Of course, you'll have to upload the template again, but it's a few mouse clicks. *smile*

Piotr

• during re-install, I had a green checkmark next to "Ability to run Krpano on this server" and a red ! next to the ability to run ffmpeg, just like in Piotr's screencaps...that got me excited that this time it might finally work.

but after installation I got this on the page where before I had the login to the CMS4VR admin: [an error occurred while processing this directive]
    that did not happen the last time I installed this.

~ sigh ~

• could that be due to a permissions problem?

my cms4vr folder, which it is installed into is 755, as is the admin folder within it...the index.php file itself is 666.

I don't get it...before this second install, the system and admin were working, but krpano was not, now it looks like krpano might actually work on the server, but the system and admin are not.

if I go directly to the tooltips at http://avpmatrix.com/cms4vr/tooltip.html, I only get a grey page...I'm on Mac Safari, but I also tried Chrome with the same results.

• if I go directly to the tooltips at http://avpmatrix.com/cms4vr/tooltip.html, I only get a grey page...I'm on Mac Safari, but I also tried Chrome with the same results.

... this file is required only for a popup to pano modules (this animated tooltips below a pano POI). The main runner file is index.php, not tooltip.html.

Piotr

• Ok, that would explain why it doesn’t really show the tooltips when going to them directly, but why is it giving me that error for http://avpmatrix.com/cms4vr/ ?

Once you sent me the newest version of the installer, I‘ll try deleting and re-installating yet again. I am hopeful now that Krpano might work, at last, and that you‘ll have me out of your hair about this tired topic ;)

• Piotr was, again, super helpful in pointing me in the right direction about the error I got after installing...

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

he found a couple of discussions that dealt with similar issues, see here:
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1900…t-not-on-server
    https://davidnash.com.au/hostmonster-50…-shtml-wrapper/

so after I changed the permissions of the index.php files in the root of the cms4vr folder and inside the admin folder within it, the UI came right up...I was then able to update to the newest version from there (very slick and easy update process!), then uploaded a pano JPG and watched with wonder as the pano got process on the server, finally.

weeks of getting on Piotr's nerves have finally led to the desired result.

next in line: shoot and upload more panos and learn how to string them together with their excellent templates and tools...exciting system, exciting times!

anyone into panos and pano tours, point your browsers to cms4vr.com right now and support this visionary system

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!