Finding out the kind of attribute (Number, boolean, string)

• Hello there,
    For a current project I need to distinguish internally at Krpano the categories of attributes. I'm working currently with automatic gallery scenes creation, it's based in a single attribute to categorize it but if user sets it's value wrong, let's say it should be category="aerial" but instead a number was used it screws all the automation. I need to set some conditionals to distinguish if a non string value was assigned and to report/correct the issue.
    Is there a way to find out the kind of category of an attribute for this purpose?
    Thanks!
    Luis *thumbup*

• Hi,

the exact type doesn't need to be defined for krpano, the action or the operation where a variable will be used defines the type in the most cases...

E.g. even when a variable is a string like "123" it will be possible to use it in a mathematical calculation (similar to JS).

For checking if a variable is a number you could try this:

Code
    if(var * 1 == var, trace(is a number), trace(is not a number));

The multiplication forces a conversion to a number, and for non-numbers this will fail. So when the value is still the same after the multiplication, it is a number.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Luis,
    Try

Code
    calc(result, !my_input ?  'Empty input' : (my_input != aerial ?  'Wrong category' : true  ));
    if(result == true, 
        //use my_input as correct;
    '
      warning('Wrong input ', my_input, ' due ', result);
    );

Without testing. The Klaus' test for number is very useful.

Pavel

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!