Krpano VR Headsets Supported

• I have added VR mode to all the Panotour generated tours on my website and have tested them with the Lenovo Mirage Solo Daydream based VR headset. I would like to know what other VR platforms are supported by Krpano WebVR so let me know what VR headsets your tours work with or test your VR headset with any item with a VR mode symbol on my site and let me know whether it works in full VR mode or not. http://360fusion.net

• Hi,

basically any Browser or system that supports the WebVR Browser API should be supported.
    And as fallback for mobile devices without WebVR API, krpano uses the gyroscope/acceleration-sensors for tracking and does the lens-distortion by its own.

Please read here for more:
    https://krpano.com/plugins/webvr/#top

These are currently the best quality solutions for WebVR that I've tested myself:
    - Firefox with HTC Vive
    - Firefox with Oculus Rift
    - MS Edge with any Windows MR headset
    - Oculus Go with the build-in browser
    - GearVR with the Oculus Browser

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Tom Sharples recently commented on FB about Moire motion on WebVR Krpao sites as follows, I would like to hear you comments on this:

The image quality in Samsung Odyssey beat any other webVR I have seen, especially on Gala360, which is not only sharper but also lacks the "shimmer" (motion moire) that is still evident on the krpano sites.

Brian Richards What do you think causes the motion moire on Krpano sites?

Thomas Sharpless Probably best to ask Klaus at krpano. But I would say generally that it is insufficiently smooth interpolation from pano to screen resolution. This is tricky to get just right, many flat screen pano players used to suffer from shimmer, too. It does not help that webVR APIs do not expose all the capabilities of the rendering hardware. But I am sure it will be fixed in due time.

• Hi,

first - please don't believe everything you can read on the web, better always do your own tests! So far I 've read that FB-post Thomas Sharpless only tested external sites like roundme.com or 360cities.net and e.g. not the krpano MAKE VTOUR outputs (especially the VR-OPT one).

What he called 'shimmer' is actually aliasing and is only related to the ratio of the pano-image-size and the output-size. When the pano-image-resolution is too high compared to the output-rendering-resolution this can cause aliasing, but that depends also on the image-content itself (e.g. high-contrast edges).

And there are many possibilities to to 'tune' this - the first one would be using a image-size that matches the output-resolution, e.g. for current VR-headset a cube-size of ~1500px matches the screen-resolution in a good way (the VR-OPT droplet automatically generates such images for VR-usage).

The next one would be using image-sizes that allow mipmapping (e.g. cube-sides with 2048px or 4096px).

Additionally also the oversampling setting can be increased, then the output will be rendered at a higher resolution and then downscaled. This cost performance of course (depending of the power of your GPU) but therefore it also reduces aliasing-effects and make the image more overall-clear.

Best regards,
    Klaus

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!